• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

My Mi16 Engine Is Now Finally In

driversdomainuk

Hi

I am pleased to say I have now fitted my MI16 engine. No drama apart from me braking 4 bones in my big toe in the job.

Now compared to my 8v making circa 135bhp the car feels faster but not as faster as I thought (should be making 185-200bhp) although it easily runs to 75mph in 2nd gear before changing up at 8,500rpm (tried once on way home to make sure it could!) where the 8v would have really been struggling anything over 7k, which is to be expected.

The engine which had carbs idles fine and appears to rev ok. However, I am still using the Facet Silver competition pump "up to 200bhp" jobbie and the king filter which has not been adjusted since feeding the 8v

Questions:

1. would you, apart from wanting to find out the power, give it a rolling road setup as this could help (although feels smooth and good to drive)

2. Would the current pressure setting on the King Filter (looking head on the screw points at 10:20) be ok with new powerful engine or should this be "wound on" slightly more..?

PS - The BBM blue silicon hoses are fansastic - real great quality and look really good!!! still have 3 left over which is a bit of a worry :) but all works fine

cheers

Edited by driversdomainuk

Richie-Van-GTi

A few hoses left over is normal if the car is on carbs.

I would definatley give it a run on the rollers, dont touch the filter king until its been on the rollers and then see if it needs tweeking. It may be a case of its fueling OK low down and not enough top end, winding it in will ultimatley mean better top end but poor idle and round town driving. If your fueling is off you are no doubt going to have to get the carbs set up properly again, best left to someone experienced and reccomended.

driversdomainuk
A few hoses left over is normal if the car is on carbs.

I would definatley give it a run on the rollers, dont touch the filter king until its been on the rollers and then see if it needs tweeking. It may be a case of its fueling OK low down and not enough top end, winding it in will ultimatley mean better top end but poor idle and round town driving. If your fueling is off you are no doubt going to have to get the carbs set up properly again, best left to someone experienced and reccomended.

Umm Interesting. Although fast, it missed that above 5K surge you would expect with a 16v which may explain your comment about fueling higher up rev range not being up to it.

Thanks

ORB

I did not know that there was 4 bones in a big toe!

driversdomainuk
I did not know that there was 4 bones in a big toe!

Sorry matey! I mean I broke it in 4 places!

boldy205

you say you miss the 'Surge' which is when it comes on cam. I have a standard MI16 on 45s, and once i had ran the car in i gave it a bootfull and it didnt feel to come on cam as well as my friends. I had it set up on RR and now with carb jetting and ignition advance adjustments (std.1.9 dizzy now on full advance, but still needs more, now got a Megajolt to sort that) it DEFINATALY comes on cam, and in the wet just wheelspins!! :rolleyes: so i think you nedd it set up. Oh and i would say, to be on the safe side, i would get a Redtop before its RR'd.

Matt.

Sign in to follow this