• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rossi

Lowering Springs Back To Standard...

rossi

I'm doing a gti6 conversion, and my car has been lowered at the front with spax suspension. I've bought some 309 springs off ebay. Someone said I'd need some clamps of some sort. Could I not use the lowering springs clamps? Im actually clueless with suspension!

I've never changed the suspension on a car before, and i think it's time I did. Any one got a bit of a guide/advice or anything?

Richie-Van-GTi

You need some strut spring compressors, machine mart, halfrauds, ebay etc. You can get a set of these for under £15. As for a guide, heres a basic run down.

Before even lifting a wheel off the ground loosen the top nut, you will need a 21mm swan neck spanner and a 6mm allen key IIRC to do this. Once you have loosened it then jack the car up.

Remove the strut complete with spring etc. Fasten clamps onto spring and start tightening to compress the spring, do each compressor a bit at a time to pull the spring down evenly. Once it is loose from the top plate finish removing the top nut. Slide of the top mount, slide of the spring, carefully remove the clamps, put new spring onto strut and clamp it down until the shock centre will clear the top of the spring, replace top mount and top nut then remove clamps, watch the spring seats fully into the top mount and lower seating plate.

Its not a hard job, just slow process. NEVER have the spring pointing up towards you when its compressed and not between a fixed top mount and lower seating plate. If the spring clamp slips and you are face over it you may feel a sharp pain followed by confusion as to why you are laid on your back and its a couple of hours later before noticing your nose is really really hurting and theres blood trickling from it. :)

Seriously though, they hurt a lot if your in the way when one goes off!!

Things to have to hand, Angle grinder for removing the drop link or track rod end that just spins, spare drop links and track rod ends for replacing the afore mentioned. Its also worth the extra few beans to buy a top mount service kit to replace the top mount rubber and bearing :)

Atari Boy

I did mine yesterday with a mate and it was not too hard at all, not the 4 spanners that Haynes states it is.

Richie's guide is spot on, get some spring comprssors, they will really help.

I needed a 7mm allen key on my top mount not a 6mm, not all stores sell them either.

We took out time on the first one but did the second one in less than a hour.

If I can do it anyone can!

Good luck

Jonny

SamGTi

Yeah it's not too hard once you know what you're doing. I have some spring compressors and all the spanners needed if you need a hand? :)

rossi

Nice one lads. I've not got the right tools, that'd be a great help Sam if u could help us out (Y)

Sign in to follow this