• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Replace Sunroof With Ali

AdamP

Is there any reason why I cant just bolt in an ali plate onto the original rivnuts on the roof? All the jobs i've seen had had them riveted on.

Adam

ashley peddle

mine is bolted on :)

pugrallye

you can... but you have to use anodised rivets and make sure the two bare metals dont touch otherwise you can end up with chemical corrosion... which is nasty

Baz

'Electrolytic' :)

Sure, dome head screws/bolts into the exixting rivnuts will do the trick, with a smear of silicone sealer between to seal. :D

AdamP
'Electrolytic' :)

Sure, dome head screws/bolts into the exixting rivnuts will do the trick, with a smear of silicone sealer between to seal. :D

I'll be painting my ali before it goes on so that shouldnt be a problem!

Will go and get a big bag of suitably sized dome head bolts then :D

Adam

ashley peddle

mine aint anodised and i dont have any corrosion yet (about 12 months since i fitted it...)

Guest bigbore
mine aint anodised and i dont have any corrosion yet (about 12 months since i fitted it...)

ive seen some right states when i use to build horse wagons , in the end are company use to put plastic between the steel and ally to stop it happening

swordfish210

i just bonded mine on using PU sealant and i used 8 rivets when i put it on to locate it. When it was all fitted i put a strip of white silicone around it to help keep the water out.

Guest bigbore

i was thinking of removing the one off mine , how much weight does it save

Baz

IIRC the whoile factory vacuum/sliding glass setup weigh's in at around 14kg's. Quite a hefty saving, and of course up high so lowers the CoG. ^_^

ashley peddle

sunroof set up is 14kg's. ali plate (3mm) is about 2.3kg ^_^

swordfish210

i weighed all of the junk that i took off of mine and i weighed the stuff that i put back on and all togeather i saved 14.5 kg's. Well worth it especially as all of that weight is nailed to the roof

ashley peddle

yeah thats the important bit i missed - is that its about 12kg's off the weight, but also it lowers the center of gravity - which is always a good thing (i think :ph34r:)

Baz
IIRC the whoile factory vacuum/sliding glass setup weigh's in at around 14kg's. Quite a hefty saving, and of course up high so lowers the CoG. :ph34r:

:lol:

pugrallye

For all those people saying 'it hasnt happened to me yet' even peugeot used anodised rivets to prevent this occuring look under rear 3/4 trim (parcel shelf supports) for example, yes electrolytic corrosion, commonly known as gauling

AdamP

I made mine up on tuesday and will be painting it next week :) I'll be spaying it with a good coat of etching primer and a nice thick coat of matt black :)

Sign in to follow this