• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Newman Cams

ifcho

Hello,

I'm looking for a performance cam for my trackday/hillclimb 205 (1.6GTI) and I'm thinking of purchasing one from Newman cams. But I see that here on 205 GTI Drivers there are not much people using them. Is there a problem with Newman cams?

I'm thinking about the third one in this table:

"tarmac rally sprint cam"

val_268.jpg

I'm also a little concerned about the lift of this cam which is 12.44/12.39 and as far as I know the standard cam has around 9mm (am I correct?).

Will such high lift require custom pistons, or maybe I'll have to grind dishes in the pistons?

I plan the engine to be standard bottom end + GSXR bodies + MS + some high performance camshaft.

Sandy

I find their specs a little vague, especially not quoting lift at TDC, which is always a limitation in Peugeot engines.

welshpug

dropped them an email to request their "lift @ TDC" figures :P

see what happens.

welshpug

8.37 Thursday morning I get a reply;

Hello Merion

Details as follows:-

PEUI/268/470 Lift at TDC 1.6MM

PEUI/280/470 Lift at TDC 2.00MM

PEUI/300/490 Lift at TDC 3.4MM

PEUI/312/524 Lift at TDC 3.75MM

Regards

Ken Newman

that good enough? :rolleyes:

surprising what you find out if you ask ;)

Sandy

There you go!

ifcho

And you get a reply from Newman himself :rolleyes:

However, do you know what is the lift of standard cams @ TDC and what clearance is left?

And would this fit without modifications to the bottom end?

welshpug

hmm, couldnt find it in a brief search, maybe PeterT knows?

easy to find out if you have a complete bottom end and a complete cylinder head separated

Chris H

I did some work with Ken Newman of Newman Cams when i was a student and i was impresed with their set up and the help they gave me.

Their manufacturing equipment at the time was much better than other big camshaft distributors. Ken seems to know what he's doing with cams and will help with any enquires inc special 1 off cams.

phatgti

My father has built some engines in the past that use Newmans cams and I think he was very happy with them.

Sign in to follow this