• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

New Clutch

swordfish210

Hey, i was driving to work the other day and to my horror (because i have a trackday booked on the 31st) the clutch started slipping ;):) . Now that clutch has only been in the car for 20,000 miles so i need to know of a better one that will fit my TU flywheel, what are you 100bhp+ TU guys using. Thanks

Grahamrally

Valeo are OE so they'd be the best to fit if you want standard. It's very capable of anything you throw at it. I had a 140bhp+ TU24 running a standard Valeo clutch, they just feel sloppy when it gets really hot.

Next best thing would be a performance clutch like a Helix ££££. Excellent clutches but I chose to have a go with a OMP race paddle clutch in my XU and that just feels more positive as it gets hot. Good value for money too!

swordfish210

it's a valeo one in there at the moment but if it can only last 20,000 miles then i'm going to want something better. I'v heard that AX GT/GTI clutches fit and are better quality, is this true?

cybernck

are you sure it's not something clutch cable related or contamination by an oil leak?

Grahamrally

Are you doing lots of drop starts? ;) If so then 20k is good! spirited driving will kill you clutch 3 times as fast as gentle low revving cruising.

I think I did 40k on a single clutch, standard Valeo listed for 1.3rallye/1.4Xs etc, that was with about 7 track days and the engine change going from a 1.4XS 85bhp to a 145bhp TU24 and running that for 6 months.

swordfish210

nah it's definetly clutch slip, i supose i should tell the full story, i was driving to work and one of my gear rods snapped, so i had to jam the box in 3rd and drive the rest of the way to work in 3rd gear, when i got to work i made a new gear rod up and fitted it so i could drive home but driving home i noticed that if i flored it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd the revs would rise then drop as the clutch gripped again.

Jrod

You can use a 200mm clutch if you have your flywheel machines to accept it. ;)

swordfish210

nope stock flywheel

Sandy

A paddle cerametallic plate with the OE cover works very well. Slightly sharper take up, but good wear and heat resistance.

swordfish210

where abouts would i be able to get one of those?

Sandy

Helix from DT or Mardi Gras (they will try to sell you a kit usually, but you only need the plate). Or we can convert some OE plates.

Sign in to follow this