• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Mi16 Cambelt Noise

gti_al

Since the rebuild we haven't been able to stop the cambelt whining. It has been adjusted a few times now but it still whines for a few seconds when first started, and from about 4000rpm.

We have it backed off as far as we were game too, as any further looked stupidly loose. I'm just wondering if these noises could be caused by anything else, or if there is some way of getting the tension spot on. The twising methods don't make much sense - 45 degrees whines, and 90 seems very loose and the belt hits the covers.

I have been warned that overtension may lead to premature breakage? It has done about 1000kms - should i change the belt?

Any suggestions appreciated...

Edited by gti_al

welshpug

was the water pump and tensioners changed?

gti_al

Everything is new, as it was rebuilt before i fitted it.

nick

Me, Martin and Dino were discussing this at the weekend. Dino had a mate who's cambelt whined and was cured just by a change of belt (different manufacturer)

Nick

gti_al

That is odd... I guess doing the belt isn't a massive issue - especially as the covers are still off.

The thing died today and came home on a towtruck though, so i need to fix that first. Got sparks and fuel, but no go.

gti_al

finally got to the bottom of this...

When putting the engine together the guy who built it cracked the waterpump... and sealed it up and fitted it anyway (he was rushing to finish it). So it leaked, and apparently damaged the bearing as it felt horrible when it came out.

So, if you have weird noises look for the cause. This could have got really ugly if ignored, and the noise wasn't even that obvious

Edited by gti_al

Sign in to follow this