• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lgu00174

Alloy Wheel Refurb

lgu00174

Hi,

Just thought i would show people the end result of my first attempt at refurbing alloy wheels. These wheels were an absolute mess before i attacked them, but now they look great.

I am very pleased with the end result and saved a good bit of money into the bargain.

Have a look ^_^

DSC00615.jpg

danpug

They look really good. What colour are they?

lgu00174
They look really good. What colour are they?

I used a spray can from the local spray store, it is called wheel silver and is made by u-pol.

They also have a few coats of clear coat on them to protect them and make them nice and shiney ^_^

danpug

They look a little grey or is that the light?

lgu00174
They look a little grey or is that the light?

Not the best of camera, i just took the photo with my phone.

They look perfect in real life, the same colour as normal alloys.

Peetypug

mine are in the exact same colour (aint got any photo's though)

they look really good ;)

lgu00174
mine are in the exact same colour (aint got any photo's though)

they look really good ;)

Thanks, yes they just look totally original

dirtdog

i was going to have mine sprayed but i found out how cheap the powercoating place down the road was. 20 note a corner. grit blasted,powder primed,coated and then laqured.i'll upload some pictures of my car soon

lgu00174
i was going to have mine sprayed but i found out how cheap the powercoating place down the road was. 20 note a corner. grit blasted,powder primed,coated and then laqured.i'll upload some pictures of my car soon

That's still works out at £80.

If you paint them your self it will cost a fraction of that, you can do them any colour you want and probably a better finish than powdercoat.

Pug_Power_Dave

Looks well nice buddy, good job!

dirtdog
That's still works out at £80.

If you paint them your self it will cost a fraction of that, you can do them any colour you want and probably a better finish than powdercoat.

paint is cheap and nasty.thats why i didnt spray them. plus powder coat is not issued in one colour. i asked for white..he asked..what kinda white. i told him "daz white". you can have pink, yellow, blue..pale .dark..8-9 diffrent shades inbetween.anything. 80 is a good investment as not only does it change the colour of your wheel and fill in scratches or what not, it protects the actual metal from further damage if you do happen to scuff it again. the finish on the powdercoat is superb. you'd have to see them up close in person to belive how smooth, shiny and..just simply stunning they are. okay someone may prefere having them painted..by all means go ahead..but i know where i'm going to get my spare done

Peetypug
paint is cheap and nasty.thats why i didnt spray them. plus powder coat is not issued in one colour. i asked for white..he asked..what kinda white. i told him "daz white". you can have pink, yellow, blue..pale .dark..8-9 diffrent shades inbetween.anything. 80 is a good investment as not only does it change the colour of your wheel and fill in scratches or what not, it protects the actual metal from further damage if you do happen to scuff it again. the finish on the powdercoat is superb. you'd have to see them up close in person to belive how smooth, shiny and..just simply stunning they are. okay someone may prefere having them painted..by all means go ahead..but i know where i'm going to get my spare done

i've got another set of alloys in the garage and i think i might get them powder coated now!

a nice set of gun metal ones would be a nice change from silver (then i could get these done in silver powder coat when the wife aint looking)

i could swap them over every week :unsure:

lgu00174

Cheap and nasty you say. Is your car body powder coated or does that have cheap and nasty paint on it too! :)

Adnic69

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/index.htm

Had my pug wheels done here. Were done in 4 days and the standard is superb! all for £90 cash.

It really is a waste of time doing it yourself with cans, give it 6 months they will look rough again and need another refurb.

lgu00174
http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/index.htm

Had my pug wheels done here. Were done in 4 days and the standard is superb! all for £90 cash.

It really is a waste of time doing it yourself with cans, give it 6 months they will look rough again and need another refurb.

No They won't, will confirm in 6 months. :)

Paintguy

They look great - nice work :)

Give them a bit of extra protection with a regular coat of whatever wax/polish/sealant you use on your bodywork, and they should stay looking good for many years to come :)

lgu00174
They look great - nice work :)

Give them a bit of extra protection with a regular coat of whatever wax/polish/sealant you use on your bodywork, and they should stay looking good for many years to come :)

Will do mate, cheers :)

matt-k

They do look good but im definatly going the powder coating way with mine simply because its so durable and you dont have to keep re-lackering them every six months. I painted some wheels afew years ago and after a a few goes with the jet wash most of my work was gone :)

CaptainP

Great job, tidied them up superbly *reminds me to finish the 3rd & 4th wheel I started months ago*

brianthemagical

i painted mine 12 months age and there still going strong. there are chips in them though which is a bit guting.

dirtdog
Cheap and nasty you say. Is your car body powder coated or does that have cheap and nasty paint on it too! ^_^

not its not cheap n nasty cause its factory standard paint. not sprayed by the local chimpanzee with a spray gun.

and theres a point too..spray guns and spray cans are two completely diffrent things...okay paint comes out of it..but thats about it. spray cans are crap. no offence like but..wheels aint meant to be painted. like i said go ahead n paint em if you like, it'll only make mine look better.lol.(in my view n thats all that matters ini)

GLPoomobile
not its not cheap n nasty cause its factory standard paint. not sprayed by the local chimpanzee with a spray gun.

and theres a point too..spray guns and spray cans are two completely diffrent things...okay paint comes out of it..but thats about it. spray cans are crap. no offence like but..wheels aint meant to be painted. like i said go ahead n paint em if you like, it'll only make mine look better.lol.(in my view n thats all that matters ini)

I'm sure the numerous members have had very good results from cans will bear that in mind before doing another set B)

As the old saying goes, a poor workman always blames his tools :(^_^

Paintguy

He hee.. Some of the replies here are really making me chuckle. I'm not trying to single anyone out, or have a go, just trying to set the record straight on a few things :lol:

Comparing a DIY paint job to a professional powdercoat job is totally unfair. A pro job will almost certainly be better than DIY, whether it's paint or powder.

Some cars are actually powdercoated from the factory (Merc and BMW spring to mind), in an effort to reduce solvent emissions.

It's good to hear that powdercoat is available in a variety of colours. As a conservative estimate I'd say I only have around 50,000 paint colours to choose from.

True, cellulose or acrylic aerosols will never be as durable as 2 pack polyurethane or poly acrylic finishes as used in a professional spray job, but again it's not fair to compare pro with DIY.

The main advantage powdercoat has over 'wet' spray paint, is it's ability to wrap round the item being sprayed due to the electrostatic charge involved, making it much more suitable for complex shapes like suspension parts, and to some extent, wheels. Durability has little to do with it in my experience. The adhesion to the base metal matters much more than what finish is applied.

A good refinishing job can be far superior to a factory paint job (in terms of gloss level and smoothness), as the main criteria at the factory is getting the job done quickly and cheaply. A good painter can easily achieve a much better finish than robots on a production line.

And finally :ph34r: I have painted literally hundreds of sets of wheels over the years, and have never had any complaints or comebacks about the finish or durability.

Sign in to follow this