• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest NickMiami

Gearbox Problems - Diff

Guest NickMiami

Hey guys, just after a few suggestions or hints, my car has now wrecked two gearboxes in under 2000miles, the diff has twice gone through the casing, luckily its still under warranty but im just wondering what might be causing this, so i dont have to deal with this again, and just to let you know i dont drive the car particularly hard, no aggresive starts etc and its a relatively standard 1.9, with the later reverse below 5th box.

Miles

The Diff pin or the Planet gear's normally explode causing this, It did go thru a starge of this a number of yr's back but most are OK now but I'm now seeing a few more go again, The only way around this is to fit a LSD

Guest NickMiami

but two in 1800miles is that not a bit too excessive? or is it just bad luck can it be down to the guy that fitted the new diff? faulty parts?

Miles

I doubt it would have been a new Diff, These are around £100.00 just for the Sun & Planet gear's

Guest NickMiami
I doubt it would have been a new Diff, These are around £100.00 just for the Sun & Planet gear's

well apparently the gearbox is wrecked and its shattered the clutch :wacko: Can i stick a TD gearbox on it?

pug_ham
well apparently the gearbox is wrecked and its shattered the clutch :wacko: Can i stick a TD gearbox on it?

Yes you could but it'll take the fun out of driving it imo.

Graham.

Guest NickMiami

How do you mean? I presumed the TD box used shorter ratio's in the lower gears and a taller 5th?

welshpug

yes, but they have much longer final drives

Guest NickMiami

so it'll take the edge off of the acceleration? :wacko:

welshpug

yep! theyre ideal for a turbo application where revs are lower, but not for N/A apps.

pug_ham

Miles has driven a 1.9 with the TD gearbox fitted iirc.

He recently converted it to MP3.1 so hopefully he will comment on exactly what it was like.

Graham.

Guest NickMiami

Gearbox is on now although i can't collect the car till tues because of bank holiday weekend, but hopefully he has something good to say about the TD box then, i was of the understanding that 1st 2nd and 3rd would be closer than the 1.9 and 4th and 5th slightly longer, shame to have to whip it off in a few weeks if its a poo drive :lol:

Alastairh
Gearbox is on now although i can't collect the car till tues because of bank holiday weekend, but hopefully he has something good to say about the TD box then, i was of the understanding that 1st 2nd and 3rd would be closer than the 1.9 and 4th and 5th slightly longer, shame to have to whip it off in a few weeks if its a poo drive ;)

While your swapping the box in a few weeks, put a valver in it :lol:

Guest NickMiami
While your swapping the box in a few weeks, put a valver in it :lol:

lol i've been on the lookout for an alloy block MI or an S16 for 2 days now, im set on it now, i think ill gather up the bits and you can fit it

Miles

It made the car very slow (which it would with the F/D) and not something I would use at all when GTi boxes are plentyfull

pug_ham
i was of the understanding that 1st 2nd and 3rd would be closer than the 1.9 and 4th and 5th slightly longer, shame to have to whip it off in a few weeks if its a poo drive :P

Comparing the diesel gearbox to the standard 1.9 gearbox on one of the gear ratio spreadsheets going round, fitting a diesel gearbox will mean that first is shorter & second through to fifth are longer so it will be slower. :D

That is taking the gear ratio's of the diesel box as;

• 1st; 3.308:1
  • 2nd; 1.882:1
  • 3rd; 1.280:1
  • 4th; 0.969:1
  • 5th; 0.757:1
  • Final drive; 3.47:1

Graham.

Guest NickMiami

Have had the diesel box in the car now and having driven it for 2 days now i can say it's not as bad as it seems at all, 1st and 2nd a bit closer but nothing too bad, could be a nightmare with constant town driving i suppose, when changing into 3rd it drops out of power a bit but it soon picks up and pulls hard up to 95mph in 3rd and 120mph in 4th :) I have had it up to 135mph in 5th then i chickened out as ive not set the front coilies up preoperly yet but i will report back on what she does flat out, in the name of science of course, to be honest its quite an enjoyable drive, i was expecting it to drive like a 1.4 but its still as rapid as ever :)

Sign in to follow this