• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S33GAV

Fan Wiring Loom

S33GAV

I took the fan wiring loom from my miami and put it on my white one when I sold it, so thought it was about time I got round to replacing it - anyway, went to the scrappy recently and took the fan loom off a bog standard 205 and put it on my gti - it all fit fine, which I was suprised about as I had no idea if they were the same.

Anyway, the fan doesn't come on - it used to come on with the old fan loom, so either the new fan loom isn't the same (even though it seems to have the same plugs etc) or it's faulty - any idea if the fan loom is the same on standard 205's and gti's?

Cheers

Gav

Grim.Badger

The looms are identicle, at least across the XU and XUD range, but the resistor and temperature switches will be different. I would change both for GTi items and see what happens.

S33GAV

Cheers for the reply grimbadger. any info on which are the resistor and temperature switches though? :) dont happen to have a nice pic to hand by any chance? :)

welshpug

all resistors are the same, the fan switch does vary in configuration of pins and temperatures.

pull the plug off the fan thermoswitch and find which is power (with a miltimeter to earth) then bridge from this pin to oen of the other 2 in turn, if somethign happens on both its your thermoswitch, if something happens with only one pair of pins the resistor or its connectoons are suspect.

if you have power and still nothing happens its either a faulty earth or a dead motor.

Grim.Badger
Cheers for the reply grimbadger. any info on which are the resistor and temperature switches though? :) dont happen to have a nice pic to hand by any chance? :)

Nope no pic :)

The resistor is the big metal cylinder attached to the bodywork and the switch is the blue sensor screwed into the radiator. You can run it without the resistor so that the fans always run at full speed, but I can't remember which wires you need to bridge at the moment.

welshpug
Nope no pic :)

The resistor is the big metal cylinder attached to the bodywork and the switch is the blue sensor screwed into the radiator. You can run it without the resistor so that the fans always run at full speed, but I can't remember which wires you need to bridge at the moment.

the two that go to the resistor :)

S33GAV

not sure what you mean by "fans always run at full speed"?

what would be the best way of diagnosing the prob then?

cheers guys

edit: i'm pretty sure I reused the resistor that was already there, just plugged the new connector into it. I cant picture the switch, so will take a look at that later and see if I can swap with a known good one to test

Edited by S33GAV

welshpug
not sure what you mean by "fans always run at full speed"?

what would be the best way of diagnosing the prob then?

cheers guys

As in when the first stage of the thermoswitch allows power to the fans via the resistor, bypass the resistor and the fans come on full, same as they would on stage 2.

so sort the problem just have a poke around with a multimeter and a piece of cable.

Anthony
The looms are identicle, at least across the XU and XUD range, but the resistor and temperature switches will be different.

Actually, XUD looms are different - the diesels run a twin (or is it triple?) relay setup and twin fans as standard

Very quick and easy to diagnose what's wrong with the GTi style fan setup though using a multimeter or a wire-link to short things out. Most problems in my experience are down to faulty radiator thermoswitches or bad connections (especially the earth)

S33GAV

ok cheers guys. will go buy a multimeter later and have a little poke around and look at the connections.

cheers

Anthony

If you get stuck, I'm in Swindon later so I don't mind popping up to give you a hand as I'm only round the corner :)

tom_m
Actually, XUD looms are different - the diesels run a twin (or is it triple?) relay setup and twin fans as standard

Very quick and easy to diagnose what's wrong with the GTi style fan setup though using a multimeter or a wire-link to short things out. Most problems in my experience are down to faulty radiator thermoswitches or bad connections (especially the earth)

triple :)

S33GAV

Anthony I'm absolutely sure of getting stuck later :)

Might well drop you a txt, cheers for offer. Trying to get everything ready for MOT on friday, even though I don't think this is an MOT failure.

Grim.Badger

:) Damn, I thought I'd checked XUD looms :)

Phil H

Well it's not an MOT failure, but they do leave your engine running for a while, which ain't good if your fans not working.

Just get a piece of wire and bridge the three terminals on the radiator wiing plug.

The three correct answers are

1. No change

2. Fan runs at slow speed

3. Fan runs at high speed

Sign in to follow this