• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
r.u.sure

205 Gti-6

r.u.sure

Hi

Just after a little reassurance that all's OK with this if possible, 1st gear pulling away seems OK and if I accelerate quickly up through the gears everything seems fine, no problem. :)

If I floor the accelerator at anything under about 3000-3500 rpm in any gear it sounds chuggy and not smooth, also if i sit and rev the engine just at the top of the rev before they start coming back down it sounds a little lumpy.

There's no smoke or anything untoward like that.

Bearing in mind this is the first ever 16v engine or conversion I've ever had, so due to different car and engine setups this might be normal, or could there be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Richie-Van-GTi

Are you using the gti6 ecu to control everything? If you are then it may be worth checking the fuel pump pressure, the chugging sympton is usually associated with a lack of fuel or incorrect advance.

pugrallye

sounds like MAP sensor is playing up

r.u.sure

Thanks for the help both of you.

Richie-Van-GTi: Yes using the Gti-6 ecu, checking the fuel pressure and advance will have to be a garage job I think, don't have the tools or knowledge for that.

pugrallye: Can you tell me where the MAP sensor lives please and is it possible for me to take it off and maybe clean it up and see if that makes any difference, also will the ecu need resetting if I do this.

Thanks again

Dave

pugrallye

Bit hard to explain, and i have no photos handy, it lives on inlet manifold just past where throttle body joins on, its a black two pin affair secured by a 5mm allen key bolt, you will have to pull it out the manifold so to speak, and may get away with cleaning it although its not commonplace for this to work, and yes you will need to reset ecu when you replace it to erase the learnt values.

Also.... be aware these engines detest dirty fuel, if you notice car getting slower and less responsive change fuel filter, common to change about every 6 months if its a daily driver / driven hard

Edited by pugrallye

r.u.sure

Nice one, thanks very much for that, I think I know which bit it is now.

Will try and get around to taking it off this weekend hopefully, eventhough it might not do any good cleaning it up, it's got to be worth a try at least.

Appreciate the info on the fuel filter as well, looks like thats another one for the "jobs to do" list as well.

Thanks again :lol:

Dave

Garry

If you look on 306gti6.com you will find guides for cleaning the MAP sensor. :lol:

r.u.sure
If you look on 306gti6.com you will find guides for cleaning the MAP sensor. :)

Great one , thanks very much.

:D

lee-bg

111.JPG

MAP is no.10. Try to look for that in the engine compartment. You got a small tube going from inlet manifold to that sensor. Trace it.

Edited by lee-bg

r.u.sure

Thankyou very much for that, I know where that is, will have a go at that at the weekend.

Cheers ;)

Dave

pugrallye

there is no tube going to the map sensor on a gti 6 it is directly in airflow so has no need for one, picture you have there is from an XSI (which is badged as gti in most of europe bar here if i remember correctly??)

Edited by pugrallye

r.u.sure
there is no tube going to the map sensor on a gti 6 it is directly in airflow so has no need for one, picture you have there is from an XSI (which is badged as gti in most of europe bar here if i remember correctly??)

Thanks for that, have taken it off anyway and cleaned it up with carb cleaner and reset the ecu as well, hasn't made any difference at all.

Looks like I'll might have to cough up and have a diagnostics done and see if the ecu shows up any error codes.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Dave

Sign in to follow this