• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Spark Controlled Idle?

Richie-Van-GTi

Bit more technical but Im getting there slowly, I now have the car so it will start pretty well, Have to hold throttle for a few seconds to allow the after start enrichments to take hold but then its fine at high idle, IE 1500 rpms and slightly rich. Im hoping for some tips on how to bring this down using spark control etc. Ive tried without success closing the bodies further down but they are almost shut as is and any lower and the engine cuts, tried retarding timing etc but problem with my tuning software is you cant get to the ve table quick enough to respond to spark table changes at low rpm before it dies, (it keeps leaning right off with spark retarding and stalling). Im just wondering is the spark table where I should be looking to bring this idle down? I tried leaning but it has the same effect of stalling the engine, looking at low 13's to keep it running low down.

Sandy

Try about 15 degrees at 500-700rpm and 8 degrees at 1000rpm. If it still idles too high, then you need to close the bodies down. If it keeps stalling, look at the balancing at idle; if you can get it to idle well enough to check the balancing, open the throttles a touch to balance and eyeball them closing to see if one catches before the others when closing down.

snillet

If you in the map can make it go down to below 1300rpm at steady then you can try the fixed idle timing feature, for example my timing map is around 20:s at idle and that brings it down to about 1200rpm when releasing off the pedal, and then the fixed idle advance goes in and sets the advance to 14deg which makes it reasonably stable at 940-1010 rpm.

Try it, you just have to bring the rpms down below the threshold limit for the fixed idle advance to kick in.

If anyone is wondering what the "use" with this is, it´s that you have more torque around idle when not idling at those rpms, for me it is anyways.

Edited by snillet

Sign in to follow this