• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

R1 Carbs On 8 Valve Engine, Couple Of Issues

M_R_205

after finaly having the car put on the bogg brothers RR the car runs much much much!! better everything about the car is considerably better with the carbs on!!! :)

only 3 little problems...

firstly, when sustaining high revs 4500rpm plus (ie 100mph on the motorway) the car seems to try and konk outis this the fact that my facet silver top pump that looks older than me is on its last legs and cant suply enough fuel? the carbs are running bang on 1.5 bar as set buy old man bogg.

secondly fuel economey, dont laugh and call me a d*ck, prior to fitting the carbs i used to get around 85-100 miles off £10 depending on how i drove, now i seem to get around 40-50 miles, even for fitting carbs that seems like a huge drop! im sure i read somewhere not having a dizzy vac advance would be part of this reason is this so and wirh r1 carbs is the any easy way round this?

and finaly this only started happening on monday night (bearing in mind the car was on the rollers about a month ago) every now and then totoaly randomly the engine seems to cough slightly, i dont know if cough is the right word, it kind of a pop with a hiss, im going to get a vidio of it tonight as my description is a bit s*it but it is quite worrying :S

the day on the rollers was great! acording to the (not very acurate looking) dyno gauge the peak power was 130ish at 5500rpm which im guessing was at the wheels as there was no run down or anything like that, however we couldnt do a proper run due to a f***ed balljoint pulling the car all over the place, the three of them were all very friendly and chatty giving me advice showing me some of the projects they had in and so on, so id deffinatley recomend a rr session with them and it was only 70 quid which i thought was resonable for the 2 and a half hours he spent on it,

vids/pics here - http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/confused_waugh/

any way, any thought comments appriciated as always

Paul

davev

when i had my carbs done by them,a few days after it started cutting out randomly, phoned them and they said try increasing the fuel pressure by 0.5 psi. sinse its been running normal. i guess you could give it a go and see if it helps.

by the way i think you mean your fuel pressure is set to 1.5psi not bar :)

M_R_205
when i had my carbs done by them,a few days after it started cutting out randomly, phoned them and they said try increasing the fuel pressure by 0.5 psi. sinse its been running normal. i guess you could give it a go and see if it helps.

by the way i think you mean your fuel pressure is set to 1.5psi not bar :)

ah yes i did mean psi :) il try turning the fuel presure up slightly tonight see what that does, can i ask whats yours like on fuel? and did you manage to do anything with the vacume advance?

jonand
ah yes i did mean psi :) il try turning the fuel presure up slightly tonight see what that does, can i ask whats yours like on fuel? and did you manage to do anything with the vacume advance?

If it makes you feel any better, my S16 / R1 carbed / Megasquirted racer does approx 4 mpg :):P - but it does spend all its life between 5000 - 7500 rpm. :D

Jon

davev
ah yes i did mean psi :D il try turning the fuel presure up slightly tonight see what that does, can i ask whats yours like on fuel? and did you manage to do anything with the vacume advance?

my fuel consumption aint to bad really. i can get about 70 miles out of a tenner if i drive nice, once i give it beans i dont even check. thats on an mi though if it makes any difference.

with the vacuum advance i got h&h ignition solutions to rebuild it and get rid of it.

M_R_205
my fuel consumption aint to bad really. i can get about 70 miles out of a tenner if i drive nice, once i give it beans i dont even check. thats on an mi though if it makes any difference.

with the vacuum advance i got h&h ignition solutions to rebuild it and get rid of it.

h&h who are they? did you get much of an improvment afterwards?? i was considering an omex thingy but there rather expensive and quite scary lol

if i got 70 miles out of 10 quid id be well chuffed, however on the way home from work i take a wee de-tour to avoid traffic and its dead windy, i just cant help myself :D

lotus205

just a bit of info for you Bogg bros guys, there has been 2 cases now where bits of the inside of the joining hoses have found there way into engines, now it is only a very small number of cases and as far as the owners of the cars are concerned boggs have sent foc replacement hoses and the hoses are suitable to be used with fuel so it looks like there was a faulty batch of hose sent to boggs so just keep an eye on them from time to time, Im not slagging off boggs as Im buying a set from them soon just a bit of info to be aware of!

All Praise The GTI

hi mate glad to hear youve got it all up and running sweet.

do you know what jets are installed?

cheers

M_R_205
just a bit of info for you Bogg bros guys, there has been 2 cases now where bits of the inside of the joining hoses have found there way into engines, now it is only a very small number of cases and as far as the owners of the cars are concerned boggs have sent foc replacement hoses and the hoses are suitable to be used with fuel so it looks like there was a faulty batch of hose sent to boggs so just keep an eye on them from time to time, Im not slagging off boggs as Im buying a set from them soon just a bit of info to be aware of!

cheers for that im asuming you mean the rubbers that hold the carbs onto the mani, il take it off and give it a check tonight :lol:

hi mate glad to hear youve got it all up and running sweet.

do you know what jets are installed?

cheers

im afraid i have no idea i bought them pre jetted off them and they told me i would need them `tweeked` on the rollers if you give them a ring they will most likely recomend a size

lotus205
cheers for that im asuming you mean the rubbers that hold the carbs onto the mani, il take it off and give it a check tonight :lol:

yep thats the things, Id imagine they have boxed the problem off by now but well worth checking for the first few months

davev
yep thats the things, Id imagine they have boxed the problem off by now but well worth checking for the first few months

mine went really badly, it was like the rubber absorbed the fuel. maybe i should check the other ones iv put on. :)

Sign in to follow this