• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

Replacement Alternator From Scrappy For Mi16

maturin23

HI all,

I need to replace the alternator on my ally Mi16 - but don't fancy shelling out for a brand new one.

I've got an 8v one lying around - would that do the job? Failing that are there any other (more recent/popular) Pug models other than the 405 mi16 that are likely to have one that would be a straight swap?

cheers

Ian

jackherer

8v one fits, use the 8v belt or cut one of the ribs off the 16v belt.

maturin23

Cheers for that JH!

If that one's shagged (not been used since I did the conversion) any tips for more recent models?

welshpug

I thought that any XU alternator would sdo the job, just that the number of grooves on the pulley vary, easy to sort that though.

Grim.Badger

Any will do really but I would go for one from a 16v engine such as the 1.8 or the S16/GTi6. They should have the code D6RA or something similar on them.

welshpug

thought that was the starters??

Simes

8V one is shorter than the 16v so better for clearance.

Grim.Badger
thought that was the starters??

Damn, yes it is, I blame being tired and hungry :) In that case then yes, any will do :)

Super Josh

The XU10 ones are completely different mounting. So won't fit :)

Josh

Grim.Badger
The XU10 ones are completely different mounting. So won't fit :D

Josh

Yes now that I'm awake :D I've remembered that some of them mount differently; the tensioner bracket is above them iirc but I can't remember for certain.

Anthony
The XU10 ones are completely different mounting. So won't fit :D Josh

There's two different XU10 alternators - one type (that I think are on 8v and possibly diesel engines) fit fine and just need the ring terminals swapping, whereas the other type (definately GTi-6 and I believe other 16v engines too) has a different fitment and won't fit.

Alastairh
There's two different XU10 alternators - one type (that I think are on 8v and possibly diesel engines) fit fine and just need the ring terminals swapping, whereas the other type (definately GTi-6 and I believe other 16v engines too) has a different fitment and won't fit.

Yeah, second :D

Super Josh

Interesting, I know that the 2.0l T (XU10J2TE) one won't fit, which is a shame as I have a 150A one that I would like to fit to my Mi. I suppose it's a case of hunting around the scrappy until you find something that looks right. It's fairly obvious when you have a good look at the alternator, if it will fit. :D

Josh

WildCards

If using an 8v ALternator, what do people do about the tensioner bracket? As i've recently found it doesn't fit where the holes are on the XU9 block. Is it just a case of making a plate and fudging it, or is there a better solution?

Anthony
If using an 8v ALternator, what do people do about the tensioner bracket? As i've recently found it doesn't fit where the holes are on the XU9 block. Is it just a case of making a plate and fudging it, or is there a better solution?

Just use the Mi alternator bracket - it fits fine with 8v alternators as well....

WildCards
Just use the Mi alternator bracket - it fits fine with 8v alternators as well....

I don't have an Mi Alternator bracket unfortunately.

Sign in to follow this