• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

How To Make Ron98 Petrol ?

DamirGTI

Hello !

I need some chemical help :D

I've suck out 25l of RON95 petrol (it's free petrol !! :) ) from my old car which I'm not using , and i was wandering how can i raise the octane num. of this 95 petrol to 98 ?

Any recommendation for good octane booster/additive which can do this rising job for me ? :P

The problem is because - my 205 1.9 GTi which I'm driving now every day needs at least 97-98RON petrol because the engine is modified with high CR (around 11.1..) and head job etc. ... so 98RON is a must , even now running on 98 petrol I've back off ignition timing almost to the end so it's a bit retarded already (because it was pinking on standard timing now when the CR is raised ..) and I'm scared if i fill this 95 inside that i would not be able to correct (retard some more..) the timing if it start to pink on this low octane petrol ...

So any thoughts boys ? :)

Thanks !

Damir

Baz

Any good company's Octane booster would do. I have used a couple. IIRC the STP one is a 250ml bottle and treats 50-60 litres, so half would do. You couldn't say how much it would increase the Researched Octane Number though. :)

DamirGTI

I've found some interesting links regarding this subject :) :

various brand octane boosters tests - http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/Octan...ter_comparo.htm

and some more about boosters ... - http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/fuelling_advanced.htm

:P looks like theres some DIY octane booster fluids which you can mix up by yourself :) , but surely this must be done deep down underground far away from people pets any source of heat or sparks and with a good asbestos outfit :D

Cheers ! :P

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

jackherer

I would just put small amounts (3-5L) into the tank with a lot (30+L) of 98RON until it was all gone.

DamirGTI
Any good company's Octane booster would do. I have used a couple. IIRC the STP one is a 250ml bottle and treats 50-60 litres, so half would do. You couldn't say how much it would increase the Researched Octane Number though. :P

Hi !

Well in my local shops i can only find this :

STP octane booster (little orange bottle) - is this the one that you are tried ? (good/best price per bottle !)

PERMATEX NOS Formula street/race octane booster (a bit pricey per bottle :) .. +7 octane num. increase written on the bottle :) sounds silly to me .. )

FUCHS Silkolene PRO Boost (also good price not too expensive ..)

and that's it .. :D

Damir

DamirGTI
I would just put small amounts (3-5L) into the tank with a lot (30+L) of 98RON until it was all gone.

:) not bad either - good thinking ! :)

Damir

Baz
Hi !

Well in my local shops i can only find this :

STP octane booster (little orange bottle) - is this the one that you are tried ? (good/best price per bottle !)

PERMATEX NOS Formula street/race octane booster (a bit pricey per bottle :) .. +7 octane num. increase written on the bottle :) sounds silly to me .. )

FUCHS Silkolene PRO Boost (also good price not too expensive ..)

and that's it .. :P

Damir

Yup, that's the one!! :P little orange bottle! :D

DamirGTI
Yup, that's the one!! :) little orange bottle! :)

Ok. , i will try that one ! :P

Thanks !

Damir

Baz

In that case i'd do both, add the STP stuff to 25L of the lower grade stuff you have, but still only add it to your tank a bit at a time, already mostly full of 98Ron anyway, then you should get a nice mix i would've thought. :)

DamirGTI
In that case i'd do both, add the STP stuff to 25L of the lower grade stuff you have, but still only add it to your tank a bit at a time, already mostly full of 98Ron anyway, then you should get a nice mix i would've thought. :)

ditto ! :P

I've been thinking the same thing - add one (or maybe two :) of STP orange stuff , it's not expensive ..) bottle of octane booster to this 95RON petrol just to be safe , and then pour this mix inside in small amounts to the rest of 98RON petrol in the tank B)

(when i will be filling with fresh 98 petrol i will add a bit of this home made stuff :P as we sad not more then 5l of "the stuff" :D )

Cheers ! B)

Damir

DamirGTI
Millers produce a good one

Hello Henry ! :)

Well in my country i can't find any Miller's products , just this STP , Permatex NOS , Fuchs octane boosters , and some other brands like Redex , Bardhall , Liqui Molly ...(but they supply regular fuel additives like petrol injection treatment , lead replacement , stop smoke , oil additives etc. , as for octane raising just these three STP , NOS and Fuchs stuff :) )

Kind regards !

Damir

VisaGTi16v

An old (as in age) friend who rallied and hill climbed for years told me that if you use an octane booster, always use the same one in future, dont mix and match due to the different additives they use coating the inside of the engine or something

Anulfo

Normally i go with Tesco 99 octane fuel.Have tried the shell V Power too,that 100 octane.

Grim.Badger

Modern super unleaded in this country apparently uses ethanol (alcohol) to raise the octane rating, but again I wouldn't like to guess how much to add.

Stonesie

WURTH do a good 1 too that was suposed to be comissioned by porsche....... could be true, but anyway i tried it in the VW as a stop-gap untill the rolling road could fit it in after fitting a weber carb, stopped it pinking and made it feel a bit more 'perkey'

Sign in to follow this