• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wolfie 67

Humming Problem

Wolfie 67

Hi all wasnt sure were i should post my question so im hoping ive posted in the right section.

Right onto my problem, i had my system fitted by basejunkies about 4yrs ago and upto recently its beer great, but my car was off the round for 4months and finaly got it back, but when i switch my head unit on for some reason the subs start like humming which is wierd as they have never done this before as i said been working like clock work, but for the life of me i cannot understand why there humming, even when music or radio is on you can still here them in the back ground, so this is were i need your help, and i must say im not quiet great with electrics and fault finding as thats why i paid to have it fitted, i have sent an email to basejunkies but no reply, so as i said im hoping one of you can help me out or point me in the right direction, anyway cheers for your time reading my post.

Wolfie :)

DrSarty

If you have subs you have an amp. A humming noise is often generated by the signal leads (the RCA lead with red & white plugs on) if they are somehow grounded (to earth), or even just near it. First off I'd check the plugs are securely in the sockets on both ends, amp first, then head unit end (more awkward).

If the leads are securely in their sockets, it could be that someone has put a screw through the lead somewhere in its route under the carpet, effectively grounding it out.

The other option is the amp is itself is FUBARd, but I suspect a grounding issue, which may also be rectified by checking that the amp's earth lead is secure at both ends. Maybe take it off the grounding bolt on the car, clean it up to bare metal and reconnect.

Good luck

Rich B)

Wolfie 67

Hi, yeah i had my system fitted by BASSJUNKIES about 4yrs ago and upto now its been great, i have two amps one for the runing the tweaters, door speakers and the speakers in the back shelf, and i have another amp for running the subs only, ive looked at both amps and its only the leads from head unit that connects to the amp that runs the twaters etc, i wantewd to take the cover off the amp for my subs but the dipsticks must have rounded the blooded allenkey slots so i cant get the cover off, i find this hummin noise very strange as never had a problem like i said car was off the round due to mot running out, and when it was a few times i noticed back seat, passengers side on the floor there was water so im hoping to god that it wasnt screwed my system up as wires run along there to headunit, battery and back to amps. i dunno im a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff let alone car trouble, so again i relying on you chaps pointing me in the right direction.

cheers for reading, hope it made some sence at least lol.

Wolfie

Sign in to follow this