• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Bosch Diesel Injection Pump Leaking Badly

jim21070

A Pal of mine with a 1.9TD Xantia has a problem with a severe leak from his Bosch diesel injection pump.

The leak appears to be originating from under the armour plate protecting the stop solenoid but the problem is, I just cannot see how to remove this anti-theft plate to see what is in fact leaking. I suspect either the solenoid itself or the O ring that seals the body to the lid.

It looks like all the torx screws holding it have to be removed but there is also what looks to be an electrical connector there too, just above the HP outlets to the injectors.

Coincidentially perhaps, this has occurred after the car has been running for a few months on 100% veg oil (SVO). We topped it up with diesel and the leak was even worse :blush:

The pump is the semi-electronic sort with the needle lift sensor, ECU and coded keypad. My old Xantia TD never had such complications.

Any advice would be gratefully received :)

I'm just hoping that the veg oil has not done any damage like cracking the lid or something. Normally these pumps are a paragon of reliability. Two members over on the FCF are now reporting the same problem after swapping from diesel to 100% SVO so it is a little concerning.

welshpug

shouldnt be anything to to with the fuel, bosch pumps run fine on the stuff its the lucas ones that seem to self destruct.

the ani tamper cap usually gets destroyed when removing it, unfortunately like you I've only worked on older diesels which have a single stop solenoid not two.

try this site for diesel info www.club-306.com run by a guy called John who's first car was a 306 DTurbo, now runs an S16, theres loads of info from people's experiences with these kinda problems.

vern

Don't know if the 205 diesel has the same pump. I had a similar sounding leak i took it to the local injection place and they replaced a couple of seals and a throttle arm, cost about £80 and they did it whithin a day. Would recommend a pro to do it, or at least source the seals, as there is many variations of seals, arms etc even on aparently the same make and type of pump.

jim21070
Don't know if the 205 diesel has the same pump. I had a similar sounding leak i took it to the local injection place and they replaced a couple of seals and a throttle arm

I guess that was a Lucas DPC pump Vern, as most diesel 205s have, they're relatively straightforward :) I've done the job you had done on several now. The seal kit costs about £25 and about an hours labour in very clean conditions. A bargain at £80, that was. I'd charge at least £100 B):lol:

No, the Bosch anti-tamper coded anti-theft pump is just about impregnable. The armour plate hiding the electronics and stop solenoid is held on by anti-tamper screws that look nothing like screws at all :( I drilled out four of the five but the fifth, the hardest to get to, is made of high-tenslile steel and is one holding the HP Distributor to the pump body. I wore out 10 drills trying to get it drilled off and gave up :( They're impossible and if they pack up they're scrap.

In the end I fitted an old Bosch mechanical pump to the Xantia in question today. This pump was from an early Xantia before the anti-theft and ECU control came along and it slipped on quite well except for the loss of the woodruff key down behind the cambelt which entailed an unscheduled cambelt removal to retrieve the lost key ^_^

The car is now running a treat again, albeit on an ECU-less pump without benefit of a coded keypad nor fine timing control. It seem litte the worse for it and besides, who'd want to steal an old Xantia ;)

sutol
No, the Bosch anti-tamper coded anti-theft pump is just about impregnable. The armour plate hiding the electronics and stop solenoid is held on by anti-tamper screws that look nothing like screws at all ;) I drilled out four of the five but the fifth, the hardest to get to, is made of high-tenslile steel and is one holding the HP Distributor to the pump body. I wore out 10 drills trying to get it drilled off and gave up :lol: They're impossible and if they pack up they're scrap.

The Pump on my 1500 diesel 106 is the key coded armour plated type and the stop solenoid packed up.

The security armour casing was held in place over the pump with shear bolts on the end and a roll pin on top which was impossible to remove with the pump in place on the engine.

I cut through the armour plate and severed the roll pin with a Dremel

I then cut slots in the remains of the shear bolts with the dremel and loosened them with an impact screwdriver, they came out easy.

The cover then came away and I binned it along with the chip which recognises the ign key.

Fitted new stop control solenoid (8 quid from Andrew Pages) Job done.

May be able to sort yours the same way. Hope so anyway. ^_^

P.S. Had to hot wire the solenoid with a spare ignition operated wire which I found dangling in the engine bay ! Works brilliant.

Edited by sutol

jim21070

The shield is finally off :huh:

Dad, with infinite patience did it. The last screw finally gave in to a hammer drill with a masonary bit running backwards :);)

I should now be able to get the pump apart to replace it's leaky top gasket.

Sutol, thanks for all the tips :) This pump was a lot different to the one you described. There were no roll pins to be found. Was the 106 one a Lucas pump?

sutol
The shield is finally off :)

Dad, with infinite patience did it. The last screw finally gave in to a hammer drill with a masonary bit running backwards :);)

That's what dads are for :P

Glad you got it off, now you should be able to turn the go go juice up a sniff for some real traffic light action :D

Not sure what pump mine is but if yours had a roll pin in you would still be there with the drill :P

Sign in to follow this