• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SamGTi

Starter Issues

SamGTi

My car wouldn't start today, it just clicked lots as I turned the key. I presumed it was something to do with wiring so I ran a wire direct from the battery to the starter (as advised on here) and it just clicked again so I presume the problem is with the starter? Does this mean I will need a new starter motor? If not, what else could the problem be? As I have said, I have searched but not come up with much!

Dream Weaver

Try the gearbox earth.

SamGTi

I have heard that a few times. Can you ecplain where it runs from and to so I can find it easily please!

jim205GTI

It runs from the negative terminal on the battery to a fitting on top of the gearbox towards the bulkhead :) give it a good clean up and see if this makes a difference?

The battery have a good charge on it?? might even be the starter solenoid sticking, giving the starter a whack might help free it :blush::P

GLPoomobile

Also, if the starter is stuck in position, I found that putting the car in gear and rocking it back and forth freed it up.

SamGTi

Okay, will try all of that then. Thanks once again for the help! I will get back to you all if nothing works

jeremy

Now in my experience of 205s it can be a problem with the starter motor wiring however, I have just had the exact same problem with my KIA Sedona 2.9 diesel auto. The breakdown man checked the wiring, it was 100% ok so advised we get a new starter motor. Anyway I took it to my local motorist discount place and they just replaced the contacts in the solenoid for £30 and now it is as good as new otherwise I was looking at £160 for a recon unit.

The best part was how do you rescue a people carrier in a multi story on the top floor weighing 2.2 ton with a ramp to get out to street level and a breakdown truck to big to even get in the multi story.

SamGTi

Right, I have just cleaned both earths from the battery, hit the solenoid with a hammer and rocked the car with it in gear all to no avail. Anything else I can try beforegetting another starter?

Funny thing is, when I turn the key, the starter sometimes just clicks a lot and nothing else and sometimes it just clicks onceand the fuel pump primes, nothing else! And, after my last bout in the garage, now my fuel pump sometimes primes just with the ignition on! I haven't got a clue what's going on

SamGTi

HELP ME! I need to get in the garage tomorrow and need some advice! <_<

Henry Yorke

put a GTI6 starter on it as they are meant to have no problems with sticky solenoids. Also buy a Valeo one not a cheap recon one as I did that once and it was as bad as my original one!

SamGTi

So a GTi-6 starter will fit straight on then? I may also try to find a diesel starter (I won't be buying new coz I am poor!)

welshpug

any XU7 or 10 starter :)

SamGTi

And is replacing the starter as easy as it sounds in the Haynes manual? i.e. undo the wiring, undo the bolts and lift off?

steve@cornwall

When the starter clicks, do your dash lights dim/go out ?

SamGTi
When the starter clicks, do your dash lights dim/go out ?

Erm, I don't know really! I will check tonight. What does it mean if they do/don't? ^_^

Furiousd
Erm, I don't know really! I will check tonight. What does it mean if they do/don't? :huh:

have you got a twist on battery connection?

I don't know if these were standard on the 205 but mine had one on which was knackered. As I had the same issue as what it sounds like your having. The bad connection stopped the alternator charging the battery and wouldn't give enough power to the starter even with a jump start.

SamGTi

A twist? How do you mean? Like a twist in the wire?

gsidave
And is replacing the starter as easy as it sounds in the Haynes manual? i.e. undo the wiring, undo the bolts and lift off?

yeah its just getting to it thats the hard part its sat under the inlet manifold, i can remember doing one 10 years ago when i was an aprentice as peugeot

SamGTi

I have had the inlet off 3 times in the past month so I am quite good at that! :ph34r:

Dream Weaver

Peugeot starting systems are terrible.

Mine would do the intermittent starting thing this past few years, but I recently fixed the issue by cleaning up the gearbox earth, getting rid of the negative twist terminal and replacing it with a proper terminal, and then adding a relay into the starter circuit.

Mine starts first time every time now (touch wood), and actually starts much quicker than before.

SamGTi

Well my replacement starter arrived yesterday and I will be fitting it on Friday so I will keep you up to date on what happens (no doubt I will need more advice anyway!)

Sign in to follow this