• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Help!

ORB

OK, so i got myself all confused.

After swapping the 1.6 for the MI16 engine, I realised, I am not sure what a couple of plugs are.

Can you help me please I am am running out of free time (pregnant wife banning me from play)

First up, whats this plug/wires for? A blue and a White wire on a black plug that comes on the maun loom in the engine bay?

Pic - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/orb...81/P8070025.jpg

Then, can you remind me the correct order that these plugs should be out back into the holder? I know that they are meant to fit only one way, but one of the plugs does not want to fit and I got annoyed and went to the pub instead....

Pic - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/orb...81/P8070026.jpg

Finally, Whats this plug for, I know that it has never been plugged into anything, but I am not sure what its all about? Since the pic is cack, it is the brown plug that resides behind the nearside head light.

Pic - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/orb...81/P8070030.jpg

Here is a picture of the progress so far.

P8070021.jpg

Just need to find a Dizzy adaptor and I should be good to rock.

Thanks people :lol:

ablister

first 2 pin connector i'm sure is reverse switch in gearbox.

Is third picture the resistor for dim/dip?

ORB
first 2 pin connector i'm sure is reverse switch in gearbox.

Is third picture the resistor for dim/dip?

Cool, where abouts on the box will i find the reverse switch? I cant be bothered to scale the whole gear box. Being lazy, you know how it is when you have seen enough of the pug for one day....

Dim Dip resistor? Can we elaborate? I am not entirely sure I took any resistors off?

I need to sleep i think...

ablister
Cool, where abouts on the box will i find the reverse switch? I cant be bothered to scale the whole gear box. Being lazy, you know how it is when you have seen enough of the pug for one day....

Dim Dip resistor? Can we elaborate? I am not entirely sure I took any resistors off?

I need to sleep i think...

it's at the front of the box, in a recess. Quite easy to see unless covered in cak.

Dim/dip resistor is like a long tube that is clipped to the front of the car as gets hot and needs the airstream to cool it. It may not be that as not been under the bonnet of a 205 for a while but there are so many plugs that look alike and it's the only one i can think of that is near that area.

ablister

it may also be the earth...?

ORB
it's at the front of the box, in a recess. Quite easy to see unless covered in cak.

Dim/dip resistor is like a long tube that is clipped to the front of the car as gets hot and needs the airstream to cool it. It may not be that as not been under the bonnet of a 205 for a while but there are so many plugs that look alike and it's the only one i can think of that is near that area.

No, I have the Gearbox one covered, that ones is present and correct!

As is the metal resistor jobby, thats there too.

Any other ideas matey?

ablister

ecu coolant temp sensor, idle control valve?

large

Pic1 if the iner bit of the plug is black its for the SAD, if its blue its for the water temp.

Pic2 iI don't think it does go in there i know i got something like that in mine floping about i'm in work now i will have a look tomorrow.

Pic3 looks like it could be the earth, plugs into a socket by the light.

Ihope this is of some help and i an not talking out of my ass :lol:

GLPoomobile

My money is on pic 3 being the rad fan diagnostic plug, used to test the fan is working.

ORB

ok, so I have the MI16 thermostat housing, and I dont have an MI SAD valve, where is best to put the one off the GTI on the mi16 and I cant remember where each of the pipes go that come off the sad.

thanks guys :)

Grim.Badger
My money is on pic 3 being the rad fan diagnostic plug, used to test the fan is working.

Seconded.

The first pic is the SAD connector, the reverse switch plug is white and has brown and purple wires.

On the second pic, I didn't think they had to be in order; which one won't fit? There is an almost identicle grey connector that connects the fan(s) to their loom. The fan loom is completely separate form the main engine loom so it may be worth pulling it all out and having a look and familiarise yourself with it.

This loom connects to the temperature switch on the radiator, the resistor (you should have two resistors, one for the fan and another for the lights), a blank connector with three wires (pic 3), the fans themselves and the power distribution box on the slam panel.

ORB

Cool, thanks for all the help.

Whats the verdict with the 1.9 SAD being used with the MI16 engine? Where should I bolt it on and where do the pipes go?

Thanks

ORB

ablister

after reading this, i'm assuming this is for a 1.6 loom and not a mi16 one? I was thinking it was a mi one

ORB

Correct matey!

Does that help??

mattmk1

On the second pic, the plugs will only fit into one terminal each, so its impossible to get them in the wrong place.

As for the sad, normally you have a pipe going from the elbow of the air inlet tract to one side, and a pipe that runs from the other side to the bottom of the inlet manifold. The water pipes sitting above it, one runs from the heater matrix, and one runs from the thermostat housing. At least thats the 8V set up.

3rd pic, the plug isnt used.

pee vee

best bet is to look at the wires.. just down from where the plug is the wires should have numbers and/or letters on them..

if you are still stuck on anything, post them numbers/letters up and it'll be a lot easier to tell ya. :D

Sign in to follow this