• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Mi16 Engine

driversdomainuk

Hi

I have finally got my Mi16 engine sorted. Nicely set up (circa 210bhp) to go into my 205 running the original 1.9 gearbox.

The previous owner put a longer 5th gear in (god knows why) - said he did lots of motorway driving.

Anyway, I will no doubt find out at a suitable track session/airfield soon, but due to this longer 5th gear would this greatly impact the top speed?

The previous owner said it would do 145mph (with an 8v engine) which I laughed at, and was totally right - more like 120mph. However, just got me thinking, with over 200bhp running this longer gear perhaps this speed would now be realistic? may be less, may be more..?

Can anyone report, from experience, a suggested top speed figures for such a setup?

(ps - totally theoritical as I use the car for hillclimbs and don't require top speed anyway!)

jackherer

210bhp will pull 145mph for sure.

But you want much shorter gearing, even a standard 1.9 box is too long geared for a high revving 16v engine.

Do you know your new engines max rpm and at which rpm it makes peak power?

driversdomainuk
210bhp will pull 145mph for sure.

But you want much shorter gearing, even a standard 1.9 box is too long geared for a high revving 16v engine.

Do you know your new engines max rpm and at which rpm it makes peak power?

Max rpm.....ummm well it is a fully balanced bottom end with forged pistons and rods so I would estimate 8,500rpm (?)

Not sure where it makes peak power.

gti_al

I think the hydraulic lifters will limit how far you can rev it... or have you fitted solid ones?

7500rpm rings bells as a safe limit on the standard stuff, but i never looked into this too closely.

Edited by gti_al

welshpug

seeing as a standard saxo VTS or 106 gti will pull 140 ish and a 306 gti6 will pull 145 odd I should think a 200 bhp 205 can :wacko:

but then as said, a 1.9 8valver will only be pulling just over 6k at 128mph!

driversdomainuk
seeing as a standard saxo VTS or 106 gti will pull 140 ish and a 306 gti6 will pull 145 odd I should think a 200 bhp 205 can :)

but then as said, a 1.9 8valver will only be pulling just over 6k at 128mph!

140 in a standard VTS..? surely not??? I think 120 is more realistic.

I really dont think small cars like that (inc the 205) is safe of stable above 130...they are just not designed for it - or the tyres for that matter :wacko:

welshpug

I kid you not!

Richie-Van-GTi

personally I would keep the long 5ht if the first 4 are still nice ratios, you wont use 5th on a track anyway and it will be good on motorways if your not screaming along in 5th at high rpm.

jackherer

To give you an idea, 8500rpm with a standard 1.9 gearbox equates to very nearly 180mph in fifth!

GLPoomobile
140 in a standard VTS..? surely not??? I think 120 is more realistic.

I really dont think small cars like that (inc the 205) is safe of stable above 130...they are just not designed for it - or the tyres for that matter :wacko:

Going by my experience with my first GTI I would have agreed, but my current one (which is not modified to any great extent) feels perfectly happy at 130mph + (GPS indicated), and the only limiting factor above that speed is the wind whistling through the sunroof B)

That's when it's running of course :)

driversdomainuk
Going by my experience with my first GTI I would have agreed, but my current one (which is not modified to any great extent) feels perfectly happy at 130mph + (GPS indicated), and the only limiting factor above that speed is the wind whistling through the sunroof :)

That's when it's running of course :wacko:

180mph...well that would be interesing. Car would be so unstable at that speed, but interesting anyhow...I take it that is a theoretical top speed...? my bets would be it hitting around 150mph.

I just think really high speeds in an old car (H reg) is just nuts. I would always be thinking then the wheel bearings would decide to collapse or something else occur...I am sure they would be fine but you know.

driversdomainuk
To give you an idea, 8500rpm with a standard 1.9 gearbox equates to very nearly 180mph in fifth!

Is that 180 mph with a standard 5th or not..? I think 200mph would be much more sensible :wacko:

jackherer

Theres an interesting article about top speed here http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/TOPSPEED.htm

I've done over 140mph many times in 205s, if they are in good condition then they feel fine.

jackherer
Is that 180 mph with a standard 5th or not..? I think 200mph would be much more sensible :wacko:

Yes, thats @8500rpm with a totally standard 1.9 box and 195/50-15 tyres. With your longer fifth 200mph may be possible... with enough power :)

GLPoomobile
Yes, thats @8500rpm with a totally standard 1.9 box and 195/50-15 tyres. With your longer fifth 200mph may be possible... with enough power :P

.....and cahonies of freakish proportions :lol:

• Like 1

driversdomainuk
.....and cahonies of freakish proportions :lol:

This sounds like a Top Gear test sometime!

Bets on which parts of the car will break off first...

mine are the wipers, closely followed by the door mirrors :lol::P

GLPoomobile
This sounds like a Top Gear test sometime!

Bets on which parts of the car will break off first...

mine are the wipers, closely followed by the door mirrors :lol::P

Well as I said, I had to back off at just over 130 as the wind screaming through the sunroof became unbearable. After that the seal was leaking at anything above 90mph. Then the other day I discovered that the the plastic trim on each side of the glass that slides inside the outer section of the sunroof rails had come away from the glass. Hard to describe, but basically my sunroof seems to be broken now :lol:

It did also cross my mind that doing that speed without bonnet pins was possibly dicing with danger.

Edited by GLPoomobile

driversdomainuk
Well as I said, I had to back off at just over 130 as the wind screaming through the sunroof became unbearable. After that the seal was leaking at anything above 90mph. Then the other day I discovered that the the plastic trim on each side of the glass that slides inside the outer section of the sunroof rails had come away from the glass. Hard to describe, but basically my sunroof seems to be broken now :lol:

It did also cross my mind that doing that speed without bonnet pins was possibly dicing with danger.

Well mine only has one seat, no interior and no door rubber or windows (poly) so you can imagine that! I do have bonnet pins mind! I also have a large induction hole in the bonnet also - so at 200mph the "cold air" induction will probably bend the inlet manifold downwards :P:lol: that is before the filters blow off and the front of the car lifts towards the sky :rolleyes:

Edited by driversdomainuk

Dream Weaver

Mine will easily go past 130 without much effort these days, and with the new suspension all round it feels as stable as anything else I've been in.

Not sure what the top speed would be, but I would expect to get over an indicated 140 without many problems.

driversdomainuk
Mine will easily go past 130 without much effort these days, and with the new suspension all round it feels as stable as anything else I've been in.

Not sure what the top speed would be, but I would expect to get over an indicated 140 without many problems.

I think I will have to hunt out a good air field...done fancy spedning 4 months in jail for getting caught doing 150mph thanks :lol:

Anyone know a good track/airfield to try such a stunt?

Baz

It has to be said, as it's been mentioned, more than one of my 205's has sat comfortably at around 130ish for a good few miles, and felt considerably more comfortable and stable than just even just touching around 120 in a Saxo VTR i had for a while.

And as for gearing etc, for an idea my Blue Mi16 with Mi16 gearbox sits at around 135 at about 7000rpm. indicated only obviously, not sure how accurate either speed or rpm's that is. And a std 1.9 'box is obviously longer...

Edited by BazGTMi

GLPoomobile
Anyone know a good track/airfield to try such a stunt?

The A74(M) :P

I'm joking obviously :lol:

Or am I? :lol:

gsidave

is there that much difference between 1.6 and 1.9 boxs

ive just bought a standard 1.6 when your doing around 70 mph its nearly running at 4 k rpm is this normal where as my vec gsi sits under 3k rpm at 70 mph :D

GLPoomobile

About as normal as punctuation!

Sign in to follow this