• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timb1046

Exhausts

timb1046

ok my exhaust is blowing... quite badly.... and as the mot is up in a month im in need of a new one, at the moment im guessing i have a standard exhaust as its pretty narrow. i want somthing that sounds nice and isnt too loud. any suggestions?

BTW the car is a 1.9,

any questions just ask

TEKNOPUG

No real choice at all. Anything other than OE will lose you power or at least, it wont gain you any. The GrpN exhausts move the torque range up a little but they dont seem to last very long.

welshpug

DES developments do GP N equivalents in SS, tested and proven gains!

Tony Lynch and Des Developments crowned MDA Rallycross Champions 2006 no less!

currently leading the 2007 British Stock Hatch Rallycross Championship by 8 points

large

How much are you looking to spend £300 would get a nice one from longlife in Cardiff you can have it mad to your spec, and it comes with a life time guarantee :blush:

Ahl

I think the DES ones are a fair bit cheaper than £300, and if they have proven gains then its all good.

I wouldn't trust any other Powerflow or other custom exhaust company at all though, as they don't know their arse from their elbow and exhaust tuning is fairly exact science.

A good standard system, either OE or an Arvin-Mettler pattern part sound nice and aren't too loud! A whole Arvin one costs maybe £110 from a motorfactors.

timb1046

cool, im not looking for gains although that would be nice i just wanted a new one that sounds ok, although i guess all exhausts do from these cars.

cheers for the help

tom_m
I think the DES ones are a fair bit cheaper than £300

i don't think you'll get much change from £300 from DES iirc

welshpug
i don't think you'll get much change from £300 from DES iirc

depends if youre a PSOOC member or not, free fitting rather than £20,

GpN 2" with single 8"x4" straight through back box = £200+VAT

GpA 2 1/2" with single 8"x4" straight through back box = £220+VAT

GpA 2 1/2" with 8"x4" straight through back box and 4" round centre box = £240+VAT

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...10&start=10

Edited by welshpug

large

£300 may be a bit on the steep side but you will never have to get another as they give a life time warenty and the do live up to it+ being a custom you can tell them what you want it to sound and look like. Its just an idea but if not i would stick to a standard.£300 may be a bit on the steep side but you will never have to get another as they give a life time warenty and the do live up to it+ being a custom you can tell them what you want it to sound and look like. Its just an idea but if not i would stick to a standard.

GLPoomobile
£300 may be a bit on the steep side but you will never have to get another as they give a life time warenty and the do live up to it+ being a custom you can tell them what you want it to sound and look like. Its just an idea but if not i would stick to a standard.£300 may be a bit on the steep side but you will never have to get another as they give a life time warenty and the do live up to it+ being a custom you can tell them what you want it to sound and look like. Its just an idea but if not i would stick to a standard.

No offense Large, but most of these Longlife/Powerflow type places have a s*it reputation. Maybe this place in Cardiff is OK, I couldn't comment, but if they are then I think they must be an exception to the rule. They work on a franchise basis so quality varies from one franchise to the next.

All I've ever heard over the years is stories of badly put together systems that fall to bits constantly and rust due to cheap grade stainless steel. Yes, they have a lifetime gaurantee, but I've heard of people going back to get systems repaired over and over again until eventually they get sick of it and get a system from somewhere else.

And as already stated, they know nothing about the intricacies of exhaust tuning. The 205 GTI already has an excellent system as standard, and any buggering with it can just lose power. So a custom system might work OK on strangled 1.1 economy hatchback, but on a GTI it's probably going to do it no favours.

These companies thrive on the Max Power market because of kids who just want a stupidly loud exhaust note and Carbon look 5" fart can on the back. Or the Girl Racers who want a tailpipe shaped like the Playboy logo ;)

Edited by GLPoomobile

welshpug

agreed! Cardiff is head office IIRC, and tthe service and quality of work from there is second to none, and as you say, the other branches are nowhere near as good...

they might not be Richard longman, but they do know what looks like a good exhaust down here, and the example on my 205, and the one on my 405 have both returned very good RR results.

as for the DES exhausts they have had proven results in British rallycross.

Edited by welshpug

Miles

You;ve all missed the Devil system's off the list, not that well known in the UK but these are one of the few companies that don't loose HP and sound good too,Even Longman (who use Maniflow) don;t always win, I know the GTi6 exhaust manifold they do looses torque thanks to the unequal length design over std.On mine I;ve got a Magnex system with a std downpipe and it made 137bhp, not bad from a std 1.9 engine.You;ve all missed the Devil system's off the list, not that well known in the UK but these are one of the few companies that don't loose HP and sound good too,Even Longman (who use Maniflow) don;t always win, I know the GTi6 exhaust manifold they do looses torque thanks to the unequal length design over std.On mine I;ve got a Magnex system with a std downpipe and it made 137bhp, not bad from a std 1.9 engine.

Longfield

If you look at Shenpar Racing's website they stock exhaust systems... magnex and ashley i think. Just an option.

hengti

depends how much you want to spend but Piper also make a good stainless system that's very well made (compared to Ma*nex anyway.cough) and isn't noisy - i think they're about £250ish; maybe less

DaveW

standard with a K&N sounds best :) or a janspeed is nice sound.

Sign in to follow this