• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

I Thought Changing A Starter Motor Was Supposed To Be Easy!

KRISKARRERA

Talk about one of those jobs you never wish you started!

I thought a starter motor change would be about the same difficulty as changing the alternator.

God my backside was it!

I think I had to take off:

Air inlet duct thingy,

AFM,

Bit between AFM and TB,

Then the TB,

Then coil,

Then thermostat housing,

3 coolant pipes,

3 breathers.

And then accessing that f-ing bracket on the left of the HUGE starter motor was like trying to suck you're own cock! (I've not tried, but i've heard it's very HARD).

Oh and then to top it off my conversion from spade connector to ring connector is crap even by my standards.

Well, it's done now, I love the noise it makes, sounds just like my dad's GTI6 starting up because it's an XU10 starter.

Edited by KRISKARRERA

All Praise The GTI

if you had carbs it would be easy!

what diff. does the xu10 starter make?

just got hm from getting my xsara vts so will have same starter on it

DaveK

hehe, i just thought bugger it and took the whole inlet off when i had to change mine

was a piece o cake after that, but wasnt anything like as quick as i thought it was gonna be

glad your enjoying the bloody french design

KRISKARRERA

They're smaller, about 0.1 or 0.2 Kw more powerful and according to Lord Miles they don't have that nasty clicking problem that all the old XU starters have. My old one was 3rd hand and very tired so this newer one sounds alot better and starts the engine more quickly.

Alastairh
They're smaller, about 0.1 or 0.2 Kw more powerful and according to Lord Miles they don't have that nasty clicking problem that all the old XU starters have. My old one was 3rd hand and very tired so this newer one sounds alot better and starts the engine more quickly.

My GTi6 starter has just started to click on hot days...

Guest Coopkiller

Ah yes this is a :D:):angry::blink: of a job. I changed mine then found out it wasn't the cause of my intermitent starting :(

Baz

Ah you got one then!! :)

My later (xu10) slimmer one clicks occasionally too, but overall have found them to be much better.

KRISKARRERA

I just hate having to disturb so many items to only replace one. I get paranoid something will stop working!!

welshpug

I didnt dirsturb any pipes above the engine to get the starter in :D

from underneath, remove the oil filler pipe from the block and move to the side, slide the sttarter in between the engine and rad carefully.

amusingly I had to remove the XU10 started I'd just fitted as it didnt want to work :) so an XU9 fatboy is back on for now!

jeremy

I have found on 8V engines it is just best to remove the radiator, I know people have done it by leaving everything in-situ but I dammed how they do it. Never had experience of the 16V ones. However I now put in place another starter solenoid feed direct from the key ignition first as this can be done fairly simply and quick as it isn't always the starter solenoid that has gone.

Edited by jeremy

KRISKARRERA

Mine can't drop out the bottom - all the aircon s*it makes that impossible.

For some reason my headlights are now brighter and the car seems faster!

Ahl

Kriss, no job is ever easy for you. :wub:

Changing the starter should be easy if you ever have to do it again...same for most jobs. :blush:

timb1046

sorry for kinda hijacking here but... you talk about clicking... is this when the starter doesnt "catch" and just clicks so you have to turn the key again and again until it does. as mine is doing this, is it the starter thats gone?

jackherer
sorry for kinda hijacking here but... you talk about clicking... is this when the starter doesnt "catch" and just clicks so you have to turn the key again and again until it does. as mine is doing this, is it the starter thats gone?

Its often corroded wiring, do a search for brown multiplug as thats the most common part to fail.

Guest Coopkiller
Its often corroded wiring, do a search for brown multiplug as thats the most common part to fail.

Ah this sounds like the problem I have. I have done searches for this but most posts found by the search just say 'do a search" :blush: Can someone give a quick rundown or point directly to a usefull thread for this (I dont even know where this plug is or what systems are wired through it)

I am worried that one day turning the key again and again wont work and I will be left stuck!

Guest Coopkiller

KRISKARRERA

Well, my bodge of a connector conversion died on me today, miles from home. Had to bump start her. Luckily though I was near Miles's house, so help wouldn't have been far away :)

Just what is the best way to convert a female spade type connector into a ring one?

Grim.Badger
Just what is the best way to convert a female spade type connector into a ring one?

Cut it off and crimp a ring one on :)

Sign in to follow this