• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
englishmaninwales

Front Suspension Strut - Dismantling (1.9 1992 205gti)

englishmaninwales

I am in the process of fitting new inserts and overhauling the strut top bearing. The old ones are top adjustable KONIs. I have removed the struts with the springs compressed. The problem is difficulty in undoing the top nut with no obvious way to prevent the piston rod from turning. The Haynes manual refers to 7mm allen key fixing, but the KONIs seem not to have this.

A quick search of the archives has not produced a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks

Malcolm

Butler

An impact wrench would probably get it off.

Jrod

Impact gun.

maturin23

take it a local tyre fitter - I live near a Kwikfit and they buzzed off with an air wrench in 2 seconds. Didn't cost me a penny.

tom_m

or if you can't get to a garage use a pair of mole grips on the piston, but be sure to wrap something round it to stop it getting damaged in the process.

englishmaninwales

Thanx for the advice.....Tom m's method did the trick, with some impact. Same method for doing the nut up on the new insert?

Turbo7379

If you slide the bump stop down the rod towards the body you can clamp a pair of mole grips on the very top section of the rod . The rod never enters the body fully in use so if you damage the top section with the grips it can't damage the seals in the body .

Ahl
If you slide the bump stop down the rod towards the body you can clamp a pair of mole grips on the very top section of the rod . The rod never enters the body fully in use so if you damage the top section with the grips it can't damage the seals in the body .

Like he says. :blush:

Is it true that there really is nowhere to hold the rod on Koni shocks? :wub:

tom_m
Is it true that there really is nowhere to hold the rod on Koni shocks? :blush:

yup, there is just the thread and teh stupid little blade for the adjuster. nothing to get a spanner or allen key on at all.

englishmaninwales
yup, there is just the thread and teh stupid little blade for the adjuster. nothing to get a spanner or allen key on at all.

I will be attempting this tomorrow as I now have the overhaul kits for the strut top bearings. I'll try the mole grips with tape on the piston rod.

Malcolm

englishmaninwales
I will be attempting this tomorrow as I now have the overhaul kits for the strut top bearings. I'll try the mole grips with tape on the piston rod.

Malcolm

Job done. No problems but not easy to grip the piston rod, but eventually torqued sucessfully.

DirtyFlare

i asked this question a week or two ago and had no positive comments.

i will have a go at torquing the top nut up again as it has come loose

Sign in to follow this