• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest brodeh

8v Turbo Conversion Help Please!

Guest brodeh

I’m currently in the middle of my 8v turbo conversion, and was looking for some advice from those that have done it before, or know of the conversion.

The gearbox, do I:

1. Use the 1.9 gearbox from the car, which creates problems in that the clutch splines are incorrect. So does this mean finding something from another car, or a quick trip to my local motorsport clutch manufacturer and getting a clutch the correct size(bigger) with the smaller splines?

2. Go find a XU diesel box that has a cable Speedo and the same clutch? I believe the 1.9 td is identical, and the clutch on the 8v turbo is like new.

3. Something else?

Also does anyone know where I can find the wiring diagrams of the xantia activa that I stole the engine from? Need to go buy whatever seems best on Thursday, so any help would be appreciated as I’ve read in different places that some people consider the diesel box better and some the 1.9 gti.

Cheers

Guest brodeh

Sorry, I forgot to mention I cant seem to find an mi flywheel, which is why Im struggling!

Baz

Tried the search button? :(

The general/easiest way seems to be using the 1.9 box or a Diesel one, with an Mi flywheel and clutch, not sure what you're meaning about the cable though.

sonofsam

Sounds like He has done some research already Baz :lol:

brodeh, the 8v turbo flywheel and clutch will not fit inside the XU9 1.9 gearbox, without some work to the inner bell housing of the gearbox.

Only been one or two people brave enough to try it I think, plus you would need to convert the 'box to utilise the pull type clutch that the

8v turbo has.

So that is why most go for an mi flywheel and mi push type clutch. Have you looked in the for sale section on here? Whizzer was selling two not so

long ago, and there is a GTI6 flwheel on ebay at the moment(pretty sure it's the same 215mm flywheel as the Mi)

I would also make sure you buy a decent make clutch also, probably Valeo or some sort of OE manufacturer.

Dont have any personal experience of a TD box myself on this engine, so I cant comment on how it would drive, however the 1.9 box

is upto the job and feels very spritely on this engine.

Don't think I have wiring diagrams for the Activa, got the XM and 406's one though, so they should help you?! Let me know :(

Sam.

welshpug

the 6 flywheel is the same as any other 215mm PSA BE flywheel :( I think the 8v 306 xsi would have a suitable one too (check the clutch size first though)

205turbo

the speed sensor on the 306 Dturbo just unbolts, or just replace it with the one off your 1.9 box, I had to use a 205 clutch fork as.

good gearbox choise 1-4 are the same ratios 1-5 on a 1.9 and 5th gives a good cruising gear

cheers

paul

Edited by 205turbo

bales

Think I have the wiring diagrams, will have a look tonight when I get home from work, the 1.9 box is fine as I use it, though a longer gearbox would suit the characteristics of the engine more as 1st and 2nd are pretty useless in mine.

Guest brodeh

I have a company up north here who will throw me together a custom motorsport clutch in any size I need for around 130 pounds, so i can get a spring plate made that will fit in the 1.9 box, with a clutch plate big enough for the xantia flywheel.

I think this is gonna be the way to go for me, as they can make it while i wait, and its anodized blue, so it'll look really good on show :lol:

If anyone would like there number there spot on and very cheap, trade prices for all. Hopefully this will work, if they do me proud ill pass on the contact details. They claim to be able to match anything to anything so here goes :(

Also those diagrams would be very useful, ill pm you!

Sign in to follow this