• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

Easy Repair?

mainline

I was crashed into twice recently. the first accident was a 4x4 cuttig into traffic on a roundabout and his bumper hit my o/s rear quarter, tbh i'm not too bothered about that one, its just panel damage but to be perfect it would need a new o/s rear quarter panel and bumper.

On the way back from having a repair estimate carried out I was hit again (!!!!), on the near side, from behind (neither accident was my fault). There is minimal evidence of damage from the outside, but, the bumper has been pulled away from the mounting on the n/s quarter. It is hanging down by half an inch and I can see that the metal inside between the bumper and the rear quarter panel is rusty (moisture trap?) and that it seems to have been pulled out of its mounting as there is a hole visible.

Also, the inner wing has been pulled away slightly from the boot floor, right where it joins on the corner, again, only by a few mm, but it exposing some rusty metal work underneath.

Firstly, is the hole I can see through the outside of the rear panel where it meets the bumper a joint or fixing hole that has been ripped open? Is it just a case of getting the bumper off, and replacing a broken plastic mounting, or has it corroded through? A photo of the area, with the bumper off, or a diagram of how the bumper attaches would be amazing!

Secondly, where the inner wing has pulled away, right in the corner, what tool should I use to pull the wing out? Is it easy to weld the boot back to the wing?

The car is a 1.6 GTI phase 2.

Any help much appreciated! :D

Sign in to follow this