• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Retro Pug

Which Compressor?

Retro Pug

Hi All,

I've tried searching but cant seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of buying a compressor suitable for spraying body pannels. I've got around £300 to spend is the realistic or am I just spraying in the wind?

Also which other tools would I need to achieve an aceptable finish? How much extra should I budget for these?

Many thanks

John.

welshpug

its not so much the compressor itself that is important when spraying but the size of the resevoir, so If youve got the space for some extra tanks any decent compressor will do the trick.

SPGTi

Have a look HERE . This explains what you need to consider for spraying. Then think if you will want to use a DA sander as well (use lots of air!), find out the air consumption of this and see if this changes your requirements.

I have a cheapo Aldi compressor (£50) but my main use is impact wrench, blowing up tyres, drill, ratchet and most of these operations are short bursts so it has plenty of time to recover. It does struggle with a cutter I have but I did paint the garden fence panels using a gravity fed gun without too many problems (prolonged spraying would sometimes drain the reservoir though).

Steve

Retro Pug

Thanks for the replys, I have much more of an idea now.

Cheers

John.

Richie-Van-GTi

if your on a budget its often better to buy a second hand one with a much bigger resevoir.

sutol

There is an article in PPC this month explaining compressors and how to choose.

I'm still not sure. :D

Retro Pug
There is an article in PPC this month explaining compressors and how to choose.

I'm still not sure. :(

Nice one, I'll pop out and buy one later on.

Thanks.

mattmk1

It all depends on the cfm of the compressor, and what you are painting. A DA sander will take around 15 CFM, a spray gun will take 14-16 CFM althought they all vary, and a spray gun with an air fed mask will take 24 ish CFM. Size of the reservoir doesnt really matter that much when spraying, we use a hydrovane that doesnt have a receiver tank at all lol.

Sign in to follow this