• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

1900 8v Missfire

skinner2k3

My 1900 8v has had this problem since I installed it. When driving at a constant speed the engine has a slight miss. It is worse the higher up the rev range you go. I notice it the most about 3k as this is often where the revs are during normal driving.

It doesnt seem to do it when accelerating, or at least I dont notice it.

I guess its some electrical gremlin. I have replaced the HT leads, Rotor arm, cap and spark plugs. Its the standard late management with the coil bolted to the inlet and an ignition amp on the inner wing.

Looking on other threads I plan to check the injector plugs, earth points, chop out that brown multiplug and try and find another ign amp.

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks

Richie-Van-GTi

more than likely the coil or ignition amp.

DamirGTI
more than likely the coil or ignition amp.

ditto ! :)

(ignition amp. can cause a lot of strange el. problems :lol: )

cheers :D

Damir

skinner2k3

Thanks,

Anyone got an ignition amp which they know works and dont need? :lol:

I seem to remember the wires from the hall sender to the amp are a bit scruffy also, is it very difficult to open up the dizzy and replace them?

Cheers

Ben

welshpug

you dont need to open up the dizzy, they're plugged into the side and the plug is secured by a screw.

skinner2k3
you dont need to open up the dizzy, they're plugged into the side and the plug is secured by a screw.

I did notice the screw but was brave enough to undo it ;)

I have a 1600 dizzy I could nick that sensor from, assuming they are the same.

Last night I checked all the injector plugs, cleaned all the earths and removed the amp and cleaned up the back plate. Also removed the brown multiplug and butt crimped all the wires. Good news is it still worked after, bad news it didnt solve the problem.

Did notice it shuddered more after corners......and the fuel is pretty low :D Trouble is I dont know how low because one minute the guage says 1/4 then the needle drops to empty. Going by how much I last put in and how many miles I have done I should have some left. Might try and half fill the tank before I take much more apart.

DamirGTI
I did notice the screw but was brave enough to undo it :lol:

I have a 1600 dizzy I could nick that sensor from, assuming they are the same.

Last night I checked all the injector plugs, cleaned all the earths and removed the amp and cleaned up the back plate. Also removed the brown multiplug and butt crimped all the wires. Good news is it still worked after, bad news it didnt solve the problem.

Did notice it shuddered more after corners......and the fuel is pretty low :blush: Trouble is I dont know how low because one minute the guage says 1/4 then the needle drops to empty. Going by how much I last put in and how many miles I have done I should have some left. Might try and half fill the tank before I take much more apart.

Hi !

Did you re-apply the thermal paste (heat sink compound) behind on the ignition amp. surface and back plate ? :D if there's no (or if it's dried out ..) this thermal/heat sink paste then the amp. will overheat and cause misfire and some other strange electric gremlins/problems in ignition circuit ...

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

skinner2k3
Hi !

Did you re-apply the thermal paste (heat sink compound) behind on the ignition amp. surface and back plate ? :D if there's no (or if it's dried out ..) this thermal/heat sink paste then the amp. will overheat and cause misfire and some other strange electric gremlins/problems in ignition circuit ...

Damir :blush:

No I didnt. Its completely dry.

For a while I thought cleaning it up had solved it but then the shuddering started. Obviously started once the amp heated up.

I guess peugeot can supply heat sink compound?? Or can I get the stuff from your average motor parts supplier?

Thanks

welshpug

you can get it from any electrical place, like maplins, I bought a big tube of the stuff for £3

skinner2k3

Just found some in the electronics department at work. Will get some of that on there tonight.

Edited by skinner2k3

skinner2k3

Didnt work. If anything it seemed worse!

I will have to try another amp on there. I think I may be able to borrow one and try that.

Is there any other common causes for a miss at constant revs? Its particularly bad at 3k rpm a deffinate pop can be heard from the exhaust.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this