• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CTI STU

Making A 1.6 Faster

Peetypug

106 gti/vts engine £350/£400 :)

406 V6 engine £250/£350 :lol:

take your pick

CTI STU

Think I should just get a 1.9 Gti, Which is what I really want anyway!

CTI STU
It will run on all the 1.6 ecu, afm etc, but will obviously be better and at it's optimum on the correct 1.9 bits.

retain a 1.6 flywheel and gearbox and it should be pretty keen. :unsure:

Ive been offerd a 1.9 engine today but it has no aux's on it, no starter, alt, ecu, injection, no inlet manifold or exhaust manifold... etc etc

Would I be able to use everything off my 1.6? and if I did would it be quicker??

welshpug

get a V6 :unsure:

Baz
Ive been offerd a 1.9 engine today but it has no aux's on it, no starter, alt, ecu, injection, no inlet manifold or exhaust manifold... etc etc

Would I be able to use everything off my 1.6? and if I did would it be quicker??

Everything will fit and run the engine yes, but as i say, using the correct 1.9 injectors, afm, ecu etc will make it run as it should, with the correct air and fuelling. the rest of the aux's (starter alt, manifolds etc) will be fine. :lol:

CTI STU

Ive been told i need 'sad' ???

gti-si

You'll have an SAD on the 1.6 block don't worry. It's the Supplementary Air Device, it basically controls your idle. It's located on the water block under the Dizzy. There the same on both 1.6 and 1.9 engines

EDIT: Have a look at this article actually, it will explain all about it. Have a browse at the other articles on there aswell, especially the 1.6 to 1.9 conversion. It has a lot to think about and discussing the use of different parts

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e3-sad.html

Edited by gti-si

Mikey S

nobody has mentioned carbs yet. a set of 40's or bike carbs combined with a nice 285 cam or similar on an igntion only ecu (omex or similar) would make for a real screamer of an engine.

the other route would be an 2.0 head from an 306 xsi etc. combine that with the carbs and a cam and it would be great! :lol:

CTI STU
nobody has mentioned carbs yet. a set of 40's or bike carbs combined with a nice 285 cam or similar on an igntion only ecu (omex or similar) would make for a real screamer of an engine.

the other route would be an 2.0 head from an 306 xsi etc. combine that with the carbs and a cam and it would be great! :lol:

So what would my 1.6 Cti be like with twin 40's and a cam? Keep up with 1.9's?

Longun

Whats so wrong with wanting to tune a 1.6? Its all about choice. I like the idea of getting the most out of what I have altho have considered a Mi at times.

To be honest however it won't be cheap, saying that a Mi conversion isnt cheap either.

To get the most from a 1.6 it will need, cam, head work, carbs/tb's rebuild bottom end then strip the car down to a bear shell. I figure 145 maybe 150 tops from a 1.6 without spending thousands.

With twin 40s and a cam you'll leave standard 1.9's in the weeds. I've got about 130bhp from my 1.6 with more to come and can keep vts's at bay no problems at all, however it has cost a bit.

Having never driven a Cti I don't know how it will corner compared to a vts or the like as they are really good in the bends this aspect as others have said will depend more on driver skill.

danpug

the other route would be an 2.0 head from an 306 xsi etc. combine that with the carbs and a cam and it would be great! :D

I mentioned twin 40's earlier!! :lol::)

GLPoomobile

the other route would be an 2.0 head from an 306 xsi etc. combine that with the carbs and a cam and it would be great! :)

The stated budget isn't enough for mods like these (or a V6 conversion :lol: ) and is why I said there was no point persuing a 1.6 8V.

For £300 you'd have to prudent with your purchases, searching out the best bargains (which will take time and an element of luck) and then have to do most/all of the work yourself, or have contacts in the business who can do stuff on the cheap. No offense to GTI STU, but I've assumed that he is not in this position.

Lets face it, for someone new to the scene, who may not have a lot of mechanical experience, £300 isn't going to drastically increase the propulsive qualities of a 1.6 CTI.

Mikey S

with a budget of 300 quid its going to be difficult doing anything tbh. it will be abit of an lottery buying another engine without seeing or driving the donor. then there will be certain bits that are going to require replacement, thats going to eat into the budget somewhat. i dont want to piss on the lads fire, but i think the budget needs extending somewhat in order to forfill his need for more power.

cti stu: if your lump is a good one, try having a scout around ebay for bike carbs, manifold, cam etc. if you raised your budget a little (difficult i know), i reckon you should be able to create a mint little motor for not too much cash. :lol:

CTI STU

I did say earler about the budget that Im not that worried how much it ends up costing it just the more it costs the longer it will take me!!

How do I go about fitting bike carbs?? Ive got a set of fireblade carbs off my old bike

Edited by CTI STU

Sign in to follow this