• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Oil Pressure Guage

boldy205

hi, which pressure sender have people usedon a 405 alloy Mi conversion into a 205, 405 or 205? if the 405 sender has been used what sort of readings did people get?

thanks

Matt.

Miles

They all vary from sensor to sensor as do the guages in the dash, so it's hard to give a answer on that one, The only real way is with a proper calibrated guage

boldy205

i realise this, just wondering if it right or wrong to be using the mi sender with the 205 guage? also the two senders/switchs on the front of the block, which does what??

gti_al

I started off with the 405 one, but it wasn't doing anything. I figured that was because the 405 doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, so swapped to the 205 sender... It seems to be giving plausable readings now - what is yours doing?

boldy205

it seems to be reading just under half under normal driving (i havent tried ranting it yet as im running it in) when the oil temp is on the 2nd bar than on hot idle the pressure goes down to the 1st white line, how was yours gti_al, was it not working atall?

gti_al

That sounds about right. It is always lower when hot, but sounds a bit low if running decent oil. On running in stuff mine starts at one mark below full, then goes down to the first mark when hot. Putting proper oil in should fix that though... this stuff is very thin.

With the 405 sender mine wasn't working at all.

James_m

I really would'nt worry mate, i never realised how totally useless they are till now....

I started off with my 8v sender, and it read very low oil pressure, way below the first white mark at hot idle, i recently swapped it with the 405 sender, and the hot idle is just below the 2nd white marker now, but the gauge is now quite slow to react :D

Only really useful to warn of iminent engine death IMO

boldy205

good old french rubbish!! am off to swap them over now and see what happens. will report back if anyones intrested!!

pugman211

I've just done this too!!! When i wired the alloy block Mi in, i used the original 405 sender at first. The reading was halfway on the pressure. Even if u revved the engine really high. it would stay in the same place!

So i bought a brand new sender from Pug, and fitted it, and it still does the same reading!! so i'm non the wiser!!! :lol:

pee vee

well, ive not even looked to see if the 405 and 205 senders are the same.. BUT

the gauge you are looking at is a 205 gauge,, so needs to be connected to a 205 sender..

the only part of the 405 you are using (in this instance) is half the length of wire between the sender and the gauge

on the dash...

GLPoomobile
well, ive not even looked to see if the 405 and 205 senders are the same.. BUT

the gauge you are looking at is a 205 gauge,, so needs to be connected to a 205 sender..

the only part of the 405 you are using (in this instance) is half the length of wire between the sender and the gauge

on the dash...

Why should it make any difference whether it is a 205 or 405 sender? I would assume they all work in exactly the same way, measuring pressure and turning this input into an electrical signal to drive the guage in the car.

pee vee

they may well be the same sender, i really have not looked into it..

but if they are NOT then the calibration might not be the same??

that was all i ment.

i know i started off using the 405 sender in mine.. and it read half way up the scale.. which i know was wrong

because my proper mechanical gauge says 80psi..

GLPoomobile
they may well be the same sender, i really have not looked into it..

but if they are NOT then the calibration might not be the same??

that was all i ment.

i know i started off using the 405 sender in mine.. and it read half way up the scale.. which i know was wrong

because my proper mechanical gauge says 80psi..

Yeah, I did wonder about calibration. You can probably tell I'm not too clued up on this (in fact I'm about to start another topic asking for advice on aftermarket gauges). I just assumed that there wouldn't be a difference in 'calibration', just that senders are designed to measure pressure over a given range (which wouldn't be too different between the 8V and 16V engines). But other members have commented that various senders from the same XU engine types often give varying readings.

James_m

I compared my 2 senders when i swapped them.

Part numbers were identical, in fact, they both looked identical, only difference was the numbers stamped was in a slightly different font.

I put that down to my 405 sender being 89ish, and my 205 part 91, maybe different suppliers?

Either way, i think they are supposed to be the same thing.

pugman211

so why do u think mine doesn't move???on ignition, both readings were to the far left as if no pressure. then on tick over, both readings were in the middle of the guage. and when u revved the engine, both times, the guage never moved until u turn the engine off?!!!!! the wiring is fine, cos checked that by earthing it out!!!! but now i'm panicing incase it a buggered oil pump!!!!!!!!!!

boldy205

PUGMAN211: try a 205 sender, it seems you have similar readings to me. However much i reved mine it would not go above half way(slightly less if anything) i swopped the MI for the 8V 1.9 sender and had roughly the same readings as my 8V engine. makes me feel happier if nothing else. Though if your worried maybe a decent guage is the way to go. (though i think they look a bit chav in a rosd car!! fine in a race car though)

ok another question, i thought the 405 MI16 didnt have a oil pressure guage? did the BX?? :D

pugman211

This was a 205/309/XU9JA sender unit. Brand new from pug!!!! Both sender units give the same result. I mean, maybe thats the way this engine works, Its tapping up top, but i just thought that the cam followers needed replacing or something. Cos it only does it on tickover, as soon as it has some revs, its goes quiet. I'm thinking it may need a full strip down anyway, but just trying to avoid that for the time being! :(

jackherer
ok another question, i thought the 405 MI16 didnt have a oil pressure guage? did the BX?? :(

405s dont have a gauge but BXs do have one.

tom_m

the 16v sender (pale plastic cylinder) reads approx half the 'true' reading on a 205 gauge. if you're fitting a 16v engine in a 205 use the 205 sender (metal mushroom). the 16v gauge must work differently to the 205 one.

Edited by tom_m

jackherer
the 16v sender (pale plastic cylinder) reads approx half the 'true' reading on a 205 gauge. if you're fitting a 16v engine in a 205 use the 205 sender (metal mushroom). the 16v gauge must work differently to the 205 one.

BX 16v ones work fine in 205s.

Sign in to follow this