• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

'missing' Engine, Followed By Dead Engine, Followed By Clickin

joni

On a rally on saturday night we set off from the first control with a badly missing 205. There hadn't really been any signs of this before this point in time other than the occasional miss. The missing problem on saturday night mainly seemed to be setting off in first gear from any junction or control. After 15 miles the missing led to the engine stopping while in 4th. I tried the car in every gear (until we stopped) to try to bump it, but no joy. The starter just clicked when we tried to restart the car.

The only obvious sign of a problem, which i'm now thinking is unrelated to the above, is that the alternator live lead that goes to the battery, via the starter, had been running very hot and some of the plastic looked burnt. i think this is due to all the power needed for my lights and not related to the missing/stopping problem (i'll be uprating this lead). i made sure no bare wire was touching anything it shouldn't be.

Since getting the car home, using a screwdriver, i've shorted the live on the starter with the wire from the ignition (on the starter) and the starter turned over. BUT it would not turn over when i turned the key - it just clicked. Due to the rain i haven't been able to work on the car any more.

The problem seems two fold i.e.

1. The engine died when i was driving along.

2. The starter just clicks when i turn the key

I'm assuming its purely an electrical fault. Does anybody have any tests they recommend so i can identify the route of the problem?

I have recently had some of the dash off and while i did not think i had disturbed any important wires this may be the cause of the problem? The battery terminals are clean and tight. The battery is well charged.

ashley peddle

first stop would be to check all the wires to the starter motor?

jackherer

I'd check the main earth strap to the gearbox.

large

I had the very same thing happen to me :lol: .It turned out to be the alternator belt, it didn't seam slack but that is what it was. Have you tryed to recharge the battery, start the car and test the voltage with a little bit of revs should be 14.4 voltes.when testing ground the - lead of the meter to the engine this will tell you if you have a good earth to the block.

happy hunting :rolleyes: .

joni
I had the very same thing happen to me :lol: .It turned out to be the alternator belt, it didn't seam slack but that is what it was. Have you tryed to recharge the battery, start the car and test the voltage with a little bit of revs should be 14.4 voltes.when testing ground the - lead of the meter to the engine this will tell you if you have a good earth to the block.

happy hunting :ph34r: .

Unfortunately as i said dead engine so can't start the car! As for the alternator belt well the battery was fully charged and enough to keep my lights on main beam for the 20 mile drive home including ignition being on and flashers so i can rule out that one though i am tempted to try a set of jump leads on the battery and turn the key just to see what effect it has.

Will check the earth leads - this was one of my initial thoughts for where the problem may lie.

Have checked all the wires AT the starter motor but how would this explain the engine dying? Will trace them back - i think the problem may lie with the ignition or an earth strap. Will investigate!

brianthemagical

sound like loss of electrical power. try a jump start device. what voltage are you getting at the battery? remake the conection at the alternator and measure the voltage as soon as the car is running.

Sign in to follow this