• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kartman

Intermittent 205 Xs Tu3s Problem

kartman

My Road Rally 205 XS decided to call it a day last night in the middle of an event.... :blush:

Seemed to loose ignition, cough, restart, gradually slow to a halt. Engine would spin happily but not fire. Quick rummage in the engine bay found nothing obvious I could fix so called the AA. When the man in the yellow van arrived he diagnosed 'ignition module, mate' which I believe is the default setting for Recovery Man V1.3 :D

Anyway, he towed us the limit that he could (10 miles) and dropped us off. Out of curiosity I tried to restart it and it did....for about 2 miles then packed up. I then got another tow home. It seemed as soon as the engine got warm it died.

Started it this morning and it ran fine, but haven't had it up to full temperature yet.

Ignition module? Rotor arm? :)

Sandy

Dirt in the carb? Filter fitted?

j_turnell

Maybe the ignition module is getting too hot creating the problem, i'd get a replacement.

Jrod

To be fair I have seen a fair few ignition modules fail.

I'd try a new one and see what happens.

kartman
Maybe the ignition module is getting too hot creating the problem, i'd get a replacement.

Cheers Guys....

Is heat a bit of a killer for the module? Is it worth making a heatshield?

bren_1.3

another vote for dead ignition module. unsure as to wether it is actually heat soak?

Jrod

I don't know if heat kills them or it's just age and the heat amplifies it?

kartman

Thanks again.

Any particular recommendation on a replacement brand module? OEM? or Aftermarket?

Reason I ask is the temp sender failed just before the rally, and that wasn't that old and an aftermarket one.

Sandy

Check your alternator output, just in case.

kanyeost

I had a very similar problem on my (UK) Rallye, ignition module was diagnosed as the problem but a new one didn't fix it, I ended up getting a replacemement distributor from the scrappy which did the job... Worth bearing in mind if the module doesn't sort it. Anyone know if distributors themselves are liable to pack up or was I just unlucky?

kanyeost

I had a very similar problem on my (UK) Rallye, ignition module was diagnosed as the problem but a new one didn't fix it, I ended up getting a replacemement distributor from the scrappy which did the job... Worth bearing in mind if the module doesn't sort it. Anyone know if distributors themselves are liable to pack up or was I just unlucky?

Sign in to follow this