• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest P Zero

Bike Throttle Bodies

petert

Sandy is right, every modified engine is different, but from my experience there should be a lot more advance down low.

ie

1500 13

2000 21

2500 26

3000 26

3500 27

4000 28

7000 28

Add up to 10 deg. for light load advance.

Sandy

For an Mi16 that's probably fine, but my Honda engine would be pinking its nuts off with that much advance down low.

Sandy

I should add too, that the first thing you should do once the engine's running, is check the crank sensor alignment, to ensure that 0 degrees really is 0 degrees and you'll be able to repeat it in the future as well.

TT205

I have a Marelli 8P ECU, this plus the loom, coil pack and all sensors etc cost me the grand total of 40 quid from a scrapyard from a written off 106

BUT

It is programmed in Hex, and I only know of one person who can map Marelli 8P and he happens to live near me.

I have been extremely happy with the result - the total cost of this setup plus mapping was less than the price of just a bare aftermarket ECU (let alone with sensors, loom, coil packs, mapping etc)

However

If you want to tinker yourself then KMS, Emerald etc are more suitable

Dream Weaver
Dreamweaver- I think the process you've been through perhaps leaves a sour taste. I've run several road cars now with well thought out TB's on standard engines and have massively enjoyed all of them. TB's are to me, more than just a power upgrade; standard or tuned single throttle engines are never as engaging IMO, neither in terms of delivery or noise. The critical thing is getting it right though; I've seen some poorly executed and sometimes comicly over complicated set ups, that simply aren't as effective as they could be and often not reliable. Another aspect of this is mapping. Getting good mapping isn't easy, even recommendation can't ensure a good result, but this is just as true of tuned single throttle engines of course. Consider how much people often throw at head/cams/springs/manifolds/re-maps etc, to get as less impressive spread of power than TB's can produce on the standard engine with more respectable economy and resale value on the components.

Not sure its a sour taste thats been left (apart from the Mikeanics mapping!!) as I really enjoyed doing them.

My TB setup works well, drives superbly and has given me a good power increase. The noise is superb when blasting around a B road, and my run up the Snake Pass after FCS just made me smile all the way home. But when driving around town its slightly embarassing as they are noisy at slow speeds as well - thats just me getting old though :ph34r: The throttle linkage is an issue, but most people would find it fine.

My point is that for the outlay needed and the work involved they don't really offer that much more than std engine tuning. Having run my car against a 180bhp GTI-6 there really isn't anything in it apart from the noise, and maybe a bit of extra acceleration over 6k rpm. Having said that, I've only done about 1k miles with them fitted, and haven't been on track with them yet.

It's a shame you're so far away as it would be good for you to have a drive in it and see what you think compared to the setups you've had before. I want to drive an Mi with official TB's at some stage to see if they differ much with a better linkage.

Sandy

I would definitely be interested to compare notes. Different people can sometimes get different impressions from cars of course! If the car is noisy at low speed, that can be symptomatic of less than ideal ignition mapping at part throttle, or cam timing or a twitchy throttle linkage. Personally I love a bit of subtle induction hammer and gargle around town, it's part of the value of TB's to me and something you an appreciate without thrashing your car everywhere, another point in favour!

Edited by sandy309

Richie-Van-GTi

Dreamweaver if your ever up in boro again let me or chris know, Im sure chris would let you have a little blat in his mi on jenveys so you have a bit of a comparison on throttle linkages and noise etc, if mines done you'd be welcome to have a go in that as well for further comparisons. :unsure:

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Dream Weaver

Cheers Richie, may take you up on that next time I'm up at Croft. :unsure:

In the meantime, I think I will do some in car video of how it goes and sounds so sandy etc can have a look, now I have a new digicam - just need to fabricate a camera mount.

Sandy

It'll be interesting, but you can't tell much really on a video I don't think.

BTW, just noticed the Civic in you sig, how are you getting on with it?

Dream Weaver

Civic is fantastic, had it since Feb and so far really liking it. Needed a family car with all the toys (we were going from a £30k BMW 320 Coupe Sport Diesel), 5 doors, and diesel and it was 10 x better than the equivalent Golfs, Focus, Leon etc.

Interior is brilliant and the little details they have are genius, such as the magic rear seats which can be folded down or up. Fold them up and you can get an MTB in the rear (fuel tank is under front seats). Other features like chilled glove box, 90 degree opening rear doors and so on are all excellent. Comes with cruise, auto lights, auto wipers, climate and all the other toys you would want - non of the competitors had the full mix of everything.

They have a few issues, small rattles, fuel flap not opening etc (see civinfo.com although don't listen too much to some of the negative issues as they seem to be over fussy) but they are all sorted under warranty. They are small things though and other than that its an excellent car.

251 ft/lbs torque and 140bhp so it pulls really well low down and feels like a big prestige car when moving.

Averages 45mpg around town/normal driving and up to 55-60mpg on a run. £40 generally gets us about 500 miles on a motorway run at average 70-80mph.

Servicing is fixed at £160, £240, £160 every other year and road tax is only £110 a year as well so its a very cheap car to run and own.

Superb car, and I would buy the Type R version without a second thought.

Edited by Dream Weaver

Sandy

Thank you; I'll pass that on to my parents who currently have an old shape Type-S and need diverting from the inevitable A3 TDi.

Back on topic.... :unsure:

eeyore

wow!!!!!!

danpug

I can vouch for the quality of these setups and the value for money they give.

Richie-Van-GTi

Sandy, does colin make them trumpets himself along with the base plates attached? they look to be fixed. Just wondering as I may be interested in havin some made if its the type of work he would take on :D

Sandy

LoL, yours are fine aren't they Kev?

Sandy, does colin make them trumpets himself along with the base plates attached? they look to be fixed. Just wondering as I may be interested in havin some made if its the type of work he would take on :D

The trumpet "spinnings" are bought in, as are the filter base plates, but Colin makes the trumpet flanges from billet and has them TIG welded on a jig by a very good TIG welding bloke. The outer injectors welded into the trumpets in the first pic have been known to crack out, but that car had a big roll last year and the welds on the manifold and flanges survived the bonnet crushing the trumpets!

tom_m

i know a couple of people with satchel bodies on their engines and both are thoroughly satisfied with them.

as for bike bodies Walkers workshop in the current issue of PPC is an interesting read regarding throttle openings and mapping

sonofsam

We make those kind of trumpets all the time :D Any spec, length ,profile, OD and ID you want.

Unfortunately though we are absolutley flat out at the moment and my boss

doesnt do small production runs. Maybe in a months time

or so I will have a chance to do some more 'homework' :(

Other spinning shops are available! But a warning, proper tooling for a one off job will be expensive, See

if they knock you one up out of MDF :D

Would love a set of bodies on the turbo :D

Sandy

Interesting.....

28CRAIG
Sandy

Jesus! That must have taken forever!

eeyore

neat job that.

Sign in to follow this