• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

Air Con

foreigner

Hi guys just very curious question as I can buy 405 with aircon and wondered if it will fit to my 205.

I know that pump will fit as I have 1.9 td off 405.

I just need to know about the other things ?

any one at all

thanx

Super Josh

Not really. As you say the compressor can be made to fit, but the expensive components like the evaporator and condensor are too big. The piping is also the wrong size too.

Josh

Emmy Seize

With the alloy-sump and the compressor you get the most expensive parts off the donor 405.

You´ll need a longer belt and a belt tensioner to get the compressor moving.

All in, expect to pay around 400,00 Euros for aftermarket parts.

jim205GTI

Not knowing but just as a thought??? How about an aircon setup some 106's had?? Could they be worked with, i know they're a TU set up but.......... :)

Think a 306 a/c setup could be a bit too big perhaps :blush:

Ryan
With the alloy-sump and the compressor you get the most expensive parts off the donor 405.

You´ll need a longer belt and a belt tensioner to get the compressor moving.

All in, expect to pay around 400,00 Euros for aftermarket parts.

The engine bay parts from many different models can be made to fit, and are the easy part. It's the bits under the dash that are the hard part as most of them are unique to the 205/309.

Super Josh
How about an aircon setup some 106's had??

Not seen a UK spec 106 with AC, was told that they don't exist due to being RHD. Although that does sound complete arse. Anyone seen one in the flesh? :)

The engine bay parts from many different models can be made to fit, and are the easy part. It's the bits under the dash that are the hard part as most of them are unique to the 205/309.

Assume that you mean the heater box and evaporator? The standard box can be modded to accept the drain tube and the hole for the pipes to the evaporator are already in place. A new evaporator is 125 quid, or you could go on aussie Frogs and ask one of our antipodean cohorts to ship one up over, which appears to be less expensive than shipping the other way. Good ol' Royal Mail :blush:

The uner dash electronics can be removed from any non climate control Pug of suitable vintage B)

Pipework can be made by your local Pirtek dealer.

Pressostat from a 306.

Ryan you got yours working yet? Which engine bay components have you managed to get to fit? Sounds like quite an interesting project, would be good to see pictures of your progress :D

Josh

Ryan
Ryan you got yours working yet? Which engine bay components have you managed to get to fit? Sounds like quite an interesting project, would be good to see pictures of your progress :)

Josh

Assume that you mean the heater box and evaporator? The standard box can be modded to accept the drain tube and the hole for the pipes to the evaporator are already in place. A new evaporator is 125 quid...

Still in the collect-the-bits stage. I've only been working on and off lately so all my little projects like the a/c, have had to get put on temporary hold :(

I'd always assumed the heater box could be modded, but I've not taken one out yet to check, so that's good to know. :) Are you sure about the evaporator price though? I was quoted about £350 last year. I'd been looking for scrapyard alternatives, but if they really are £125 then I'll just buy a genuine one when the time comes. Maybe £350 included the expansion valve?

I've got a compressor from a 306 which bolts straight onto the mi16 alloy sump and you can use the 405 belt and tensioner. The 306 pump is a variable displacement type and doesn't cycle on and off every 20-30 sec like the old ones, but that doesn't really make much difference. I've got a 306 pressostat and bought a new a/c switch for the dash. The condensor is from a 309, but there are two types for the 309 - one identical to the 205, and the other one which I've got. I don't know what model it's from but it's a terrible fit, and it's been bashed about a bit so I suspect it will leak. It also won't fit behind the grill with the full-length mi16 manifold, so it's either shorten the manifold, or find an alternative. I'll need a new rad soon, so I was looking at fitting a BMW E46 rad, which is a bit narrower and can be mounted further forwards instead of being tilted to clear the manifold. The E46 condensor then wraps round the rad very nicely and if my measurements are correct then the 205 fans will fit if you drop them down a bit so that the motors stick out into the hollow bumper.

Pipework will probably be a mix of bits - 309, 206, 605 + some from the BMW and some custom. Wiring doesn't seem too complex so I was going to make that mysef.

I'll put up plenty of pics when it's all done, but that could be whenever...

Edited by Ryan

jim205GTI

Mmm i'm sure i've seen a 106GTI with aircon but that might just be me......... :)

Dan@bar

Has anyone made any progress with fitting Air Con to a 205GTi? I'd love to have A/C in my Pug but wouldn't know where to start. If I can find the necessary bit for reasonable prices, I'd be tempted to get my local (friendly/helpful) mechanic to do the work. What sort of price would I be looking at for the parts? and how long to fit it all and get it working?

Has anyone looked at after market systems?

Cheers

cybernck

bally is your man for everything 205 A/C conversion related!

can't help you much with the actual conversion (being over in Barbados :(),

but can definately give you some top advice and details on how to do it!

gti_al
A new evaporator is 125 quid, or you could go on aussie Frogs and ask one of our antipodean cohorts to ship one up over, which appears to be less expensive than shipping the other way. Good ol' Royal Mail :(

I've got two in the garage...

Ryan
I've got two in the garage...

Want to sell one? :(

gti_al

Sell... you can have them. My only issue is that i may have thrown them out, as i couldn't see them being used.

I know there is at least one more there, but i think i may have removed it with an angle grinder... I'll have a look.

gti_al

Actually, i just went and looked, and i cut the rubber hoses to remove it quickly. If you can replace them you are welcome to it - i'm not sure how they work though.

aircon.jpg

Edit - that is the evaporator isn't it? I have the whole lot somewhere... including spare condensors and pumps.

Edited by gti_al

Ryan

That's the condensor. The evaporator is the heater matrix-like thing in the dash - if you've got one of those I'm very interested...

gti_al
That's the condensor. The evaporator is the heater matrix-like thing in the dash - if you've got one of those I'm very interested...

Right. I never paid much attention to aircon... doesn't really get hot enough here to justify it. lol. Why did i remove it again...?

I definately have the bit from the dash - or three. May take me a few days or a week to find them though. Next time i'm in the garage i'll have a look.

Ryan

Brilliant, thanks. No rush. :(

Super Josh
Has anyone made any progress with fitting Air Con to a 205GTi? I'd love to have A/C in my Pug but wouldn't know where to start. If I can find the necessary bit for reasonable prices, I'd be tempted to get my local (friendly/helpful) mechanic to do the work. What sort of price would I be looking at for the parts? and how long to fit it all and get it working?

Has anyone looked at after market systems?

Cheers

Yep, I installed it into my 205 Mi16. Do some searches on my name and aircon. You can do it in stages, so wiring loom and dash in one stage, then radiator/evaporator, receiver/dryer and sump/compressor in stages too. Need any advice, then just ask

Josh

Dan@bar
Do some searches on my name and aircon.

Cheers Josh, I'll have a look at your old posts them PM you with any questions!

Sign in to follow this