• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Quick Question About 8v Heads

M_R_205

iv just bough a cylinder head off ebay for about 30 quid, now it looks quite a bit different from the one i have so im guessing its earlier or later, my question is can i still use it? is there any differences between the different year heads or engine size, and most importantly, will i lose any power?

i have a cpl pics o it if you want to see

Paul.

Exile

Can You explain where the differencea are?

Richie-Van-GTi

as above, are the port shapes different? if so it may be a 2.0 8v head, better intake flow but worse exhaust flow.

Miles

It could be a carb version or a 405/BX Injection one, Finding a early GTi head is basically the same but with smaller valves

matty_gti

Pictures would help.

The only difference is on the earlier head the valves are slighty smaller than the later ones hence the 105bhp (earlier) 1.6 and the 115bhp (later).

Matt

M_R_205

is there a way of telling which year the head is, i was assured by the buyer it was a 1.9 gti head so im hoping it is, heres some pics..

main differences being the inlet gasket face is huge compared to the one on my current head, the casting around the head bolts is different and there is cut outs between the four inlet pourts (the thin vertical strip and the square bits at the bottom

its probably kust a later or erliar head im just curios as to which it is and if il lose any power lol

thanks

Paul.

Edited by M_R_205

welshpug

I spot a dizzy there, whats the part number on it? obviously not a surefire indication of what it came off but certainly an idea.

measure the valve heads, IIRC a cam like yours without a chamfer will be a 1.9 item.

Miles

Every GTi head I;ve seen has been like that, I;ve never had a early 105bhp one apart but I bet it's still the same

You should see a casting date on the back of it

M_R_205
Every GTi head I;ve seen has been like that, I;ve never had a early 105bhp one apart but I bet it's still the same

You should see a casting date on the back of it

odd it just looks totaly different from the head thats on, maybe mines an early one :S nvm so long as the one iv just bought isnt cack il hopefuly see if puma race can do some work on it, iv heard hes quite good...

Miles

Post some pic's up of your old head, Be intresting to see what you have

But as I always say Longmans are the only really proven 8v head expert's in the UK, well bar Mass but that was a while ago now

Richie-Van-GTi

looks like a standard 1.9 hed to me also.

petert

Post a pic. a chamber and the exhaust ports. That will reveal whether it's DKZ, DFZ etc. Also valve sizes - 39mm/33mm could be early 1.6L GTi or DFZ. Bigger 41/34 could be DKZ, late 1.6L or 1.9L.

lagonda

One easy way of identifying heads is the combustion chambers. These are "D" shaped. On the early (105bhp) heads, the straight lines of the "D"s are all in a line. On the later heads, they're all at different angles. Also the later heads generally have

"IV" in raised letters in the exhaust port area. Assuming of course they're GTi heads. !.9 & 1.6 heads are the same, only the camshafts differ. The camshaft in your photo looks like a 1.9 one.

M_R_205
One easy way of identifying heads is the combustion chambers. These are "D" shaped. On the early (105bhp) heads, the straight lines of the "D"s are all in a line. On the later heads, they're all at different angles. Also the later heads generally have

"IV" in raised letters in the exhaust port area. Assuming of course they're GTi heads. !.9 & 1.6 heads are the same, only the camshafts differ. The camshaft in your photo looks like a 1.9 one.

had the head apart today and the valves mesure 41 inlet and 39 exhaust, il get some pics of my current one up as soon as i remove it, my dads currently using the car unfortunalty so i cant get my hands on it :P

M_R_205

if my new head has a combustion chamber thats 7.3mm deep (aprox) how much would i have to take off to get the compresion up to 11-1 ish, the face is a bit rough with corrosion so im assuming its not been skimed previously...

cheers

Sign in to follow this