• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Raymondo205

High Lift Cam

Raymondo205

Im currently doing an engine conversion for my standard little 1 litre 205, im changing the engine for a 1.4 xs engine :ph34r:

I'm having the head skimmed and ported and polished buy my brother who is a mechanic (and he's also doing the engine conversion) but i was wondering if you guys knew where i could find a good performance cam, or recommend what type of cam to get!

I also need help on what carb to get.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated :P

RossD
Im currently doing an engine conversion for my standard little 1 litre 205, im changing the engine for a 1.4 xs engine :D

I'm having the head skimmed and ported and polished buy my brother who is a mechanic (and he's also doing the engine conversion) but i was wondering if you guys knew where i could find a good performance cam, or recommend what type of cam to get!

I also need help on what carb to get.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated :D

No offense here, but unless your brother is very experienced at flowing heads and has a flowbench, he is more likely to make the flow worse on a TU head....

Look on the CatCam website, they have a profile to fit most situations, but if you are sticking with a single carb and the standard manifold, you don't want to go too wild.

johnnyboy666

as regards to carbs, a lot of people go for a webber dgas or similar , which apparently fit quite well and give a little extra perfomance also, however, depending on your budget you could go for twin dellorto dhla's or weber dcoe's, but that does involve adapting one of the engine mounts slightly, also the manifold for these is around £220 (depending on where u get it from) and then theres the cost of the linkage, the jets, the air filters, and a rolling road set up, so the cost could get quite high but im sure you could get a fair amount of power from them, but again all depends on your budget :D

Raymondo205

aye me brother does a fair bit of head work at his garage and has done work on all his previous cars, so im hoping he doesnt mess mine up! :P

I think i'll be on the look out for a webber dgas! so if any of you guys are selling one i would be very intertested! Of course it would need to come ready jetted for the xs engine!

Any more relativley cheap modifications i can make to the engine/head?

Cheers

Ray

calvinhorse

lightened flywheels are a cheap mod.

griffiths quickshifts make for a fast gearchange, helping keep the revs up.

macaroni imports manifolds in the group buy section £180ish very good mod

a propper setup of timing and fueling makes all the difference

s16 Peggy

Do you have a link to the catcams website by any chance? I am hoping to get some better cams for my S16 before I have it remapped.

Cheers

djinuk

ive found all the performance is in the head, get it mint, with good valves and get the timing set nicely (easy on this engine) , and u will have a decent pocket rocket

Jrod

A 1.6 head is the way to go... :blush:

Raymondo205
A 1.6 head is the way to go... :blush:

But aren't the 1.6 heads injection ? how would i go about making it fit/work on the 1.4 block ? aswel as fitting a carb of some sort to it ?

How much is this all likely to cost ?

Cheers

Jrod

Yes they are injection and its a fair bit of work.

It fits straight on I think but you need to skim a fair bit off to keep the compression up. Use twin carbs or throttle bodies.

So far mine going to of cost about £1000 and that is with some seriously good prices on some of the parts I got.

There are people who know alot more about it than me and I'm sure if you do a search it's been covered many times before.

Edited by Jrod

Raymondo205

i can't afford £1000 :( cant afford petrol at the moment let alone that lol! Think i'll just port and polish the head, hopefully find a cam kit from somewhere, if anyone is selling one please let me know :) also need a carb so if anyone is selling a decent one that is ready jetted for the xs pm me :)

Cheers guys

Jrod

I've heard that a standard carb is capable of 100bhp.

Best bet is to get a cam and the bit of headwork done then take it for a setup.

Raymondo205

really ? well i'll just leave the standard one on then! any other suggestions on what can be done to squeeze those extra horses out ? without costing too much of course! i am a student after all ;)

johnnyboy666

strip it out to get the power to weight ratio up?

Raymondo205

Don't really want to start stripping it as i spent quite a bit on my stereo and install! so thats a no go im afraid.

Thanks for all the help guys

Ray

Jrod

Stereo. ;)

Ditch it! will be alot faster. :)

johnnyboy666

you might want to start looking at a decent set of tyres and brakes too to get the power to the floor and to stop you when you need it!

Raymondo205

when i change the engine im puttin different brakes on it! not sure what type yet tho! and as far as tyres go i will probably end up getting a new set for the front pretty soon!

Do any of you guys know how much a decent cam kit is going to cost ?

Cheers

Sandy

Newmans or Cat cams are about the best value. Around £200 for either.

Peetypug
I've heard that a standard carb is capable of 100bhp.

Best bet is to get a cam and the bit of headwork done then take it for a setup.

the carb is fine for more than that

my first xs was rolling roaded at 99 bhp at the wheels :lol:

(full rebuild, ported,polished head fast road cam,4 branch, bigger jets & k&n air filter £900 spent on the engine)

was well impressed, until i crashed it :angry:

i got gti brakes fitted as i didnt think the standard solid disks were very good :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this