• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petesy71

Gear Rod Troubles

petesy71

hi. i've just bought a shiny new set of gear rods from miles as the old ones were bent and gear changes a bit sloppy.

(pic of longer rod- new and old)

rods01ca1.th.jpg

trouble is that when i checked where the new rod was going to go it was obvious it wasnt going to fit, i then realized that although i have a be3 box, it's off an mi16 and the longer rod has been bent on purpose to fit round the short one(doh!).

rods02xv5.th.jpg

rods03fn0.th.jpg

i was wondering if anyone has came across this problem before and is there an easy solution, cheers, pete.

welshpug

IIRC the lever arm on the gearbox should have been swapped for the one off the original 205 unit.

nick

The usual thing to do is to swap the arm on the box to a 205 one, then all the rods fit fine.

Nick

petesy71
The usual thing to do is to swap the arm on the box to a 205 one, then all the rods fit fine.

Nick

thanks for the reply mate. is this an easy job?

nick

It can be a bastard to get at with the box in situ'. The arm is held on with two roll pins (one inside the other) and are tight in the hole. Also be aware that when you take the arm off the selector shaft can drop inside the box leaving you with only a couple of gears, meaning it's g/box off time!!.

Nick

petesy71

boll*x! sounds like a lot of trouble.

petesy71
IIRC the lever arm on the gearbox should have been swapped for the one off the original 205 unit.

cheers welshpug, your post has only appeared now, must be a glitch in the system. theres a docket for the box swap somewhere, but it was before i got the car. cant remember the name off hand.

welshpug

Even if the shaft drops down you can wiggle it about and get it back in position.

When you go to fit the arm clean the inside surface with emery paper/wet n dry, and clean the corresponding surface on the shaft, so it slides on easy, otherwise the shaft will drop onto the box as you push it on!

Stick a bit of anti seize on there as well, so it doesn't get stuck on there and makes life difficult if/when you need the box swapped.

petesy71

hi, am i right in thinking that what i need is number 13 in the pic (part no.252535-selection lever) , and the two pins numbered 77 and 79 (which have the same part numbers between the 205 + 405; 696845+ 696845)

205manualgearboxforkcrocy0.th.jpg

it looks the same as the 405 part (no.2, part no.252536), but i take it the dimensions are different enough to allow a bit of clearance?

405manualgearboxforkcroeg2.th.jpg

if its a case of trying to hammer the pins out and hope the shaft doesnt drop, in a limited workspace, that sounds like a s*itter of a job. in the pics both selection levers have a ball on top where as mine seems to have a separate ball underneath.

rods02cropap3.th.jpg

has this then been botched on and can i not botch my way around this, thanks, pete.

Miles

Thats the right number but the wrong part but knowing what Pug Diagrames are like it might be right, The arm is just flat unlike the 405 one but that's some job of making the old rods fit

petesy71
but that's some job of making the old rods fit

you're right there mate.

James_m

Thats well impressive :P

Changing that gear arm seems like loads of hassle

An easier solution, is to bend the part of the gear linkage on the far left of the picture back on itself, so its kind of matching the ball on the gearbox arm.

*copyright jackherer :ph34r: *

Ive got this setup and it works fine.

The extra adjustability of Miles gear rods comes in handy here, so you can use a bit of trial and error on the length to get it the lever in the car positioned properly.

petesy71
Thats well impressive :D

Changing that gear arm seems like loads of hassle

An easier solution, is to bend the part of the gear linkage on the far left of the picture back on itself, so its kind of matching the ball on the gearbox arm.

*copyright jackherer :D *

Ive got this setup and it works fine.

The extra adjustability of Miles gear rods comes in handy here, so you can use a bit of trial and error on the length to get it the lever in the car positioned properly.

thanks james, is this the bit you're talking about.

rods03crop1xv9.th.jpg

any chance you could get me a pic of this?, cheers, pete.

M_R_205

looks like a rite old mess, to save pulling it all apart you could do something like what i have dont which involves cutting it in two locations and bolting it back together, as they say a pic tells a 1000 wors so here ya go :)

its not perfect but its better than whats there ATM. also i had to put a bolt in as i smashed the roll pins getting them out i later realised you didnt acctualy have to remove the whole arm :lol:

hope this is of some help

Paul.

Edited by M_R_205

petesy71

thanks for the pic paul, looks like a good idea, cheers, pete.

petesy71

hi, i decided that before i start bending and cutting bits i'm going to try to change the lever to the correct part.

i called in to peugeot and they're looking 26 quid plus vat for part no. 252535-selection lever, (number 2 in the pic).

205manualgearboxforkwl7.th.jpg

this is because it comes with both bits pictured.

i think this is a bit steep, so i was wondering if anyone could verify that part no. 245034-lever, is the same, but just the top part i need. it's number 14 in the pic.

rodbe3md8.th.jpg

thanks, pete.

James_m

Ok, i got a pic this evening, i was running out of day light, so it isnt great....

DSC00226.jpg

As you can see, the arm is just bent back on itself.

James.

petesy71

cheers for the pic james. that looks well bent but it definitely seems to address the problem, cheers, pete.

pugman211

I'm having a similar problem to this. Basically, i've got the same gearbox, with the same selector rods. I've managed to get one rod on, the one on the side of the gearbox, but i cant get the selector rod to fit to the selector on top of the box cos its TOO short. Dont wanna risk forking out loads for a gear linkage set incase they dont fit.!!!!

Surely there is a way of finding a rod that will fit, the one i put on now is about an inch and half too short! ARRGGHH

pugman211

Heres how mine is at the mo.

21072007001.jpg

petesy71

hi pugman, on mine it looks like this has been dealt with by fitting an extra ball to the underside of the selection lever, as the 205 rod would be too short.

rods02crop1pr1.th.jpg

if you do this however you'll end up with the same problems i've got and the same solutions outlined above.

while i'm here does anyone know if this bit (number 4, control bracket ,and arrowed in pugman's pic) can safely be unbolted and discarded to allow a bit more space?

405bottombitke2.th.jpg

thanks, pete.

pugman211

That bit will unbolt very easily, think it had 3 bolts holding it on. But if you look in ur pic with the arrows, the top arrowe u can see like a rubber ball. I think thats there to stop the gear selector on the side of the box moving in and out. If that makes sense. I was thinking of removing that part too. Only because i dont really fancy taking the gearbox out and changing the selector rod on the top of the box. :ph34r:

pugman211

saying that. i've just seen the solution to my problem, kinda like the way yours has been done, but further down the top selector rod will leave me sufficient space to put the linkage on. Now i just need to find another ball joint and attach it to the selector rod/arm. :ph34r:

petesy71

see what you mean, good luck mate.

petesy71

as per this thread people posting answers i thought i'd post my solution to this as it has been a bit of a pain.

i removed the control bracket (number 4, mentioned above).working from above this allowed me to drill a hole closer to the box using a corded dremel drill which just fitted in the limited space. as the old rod was just attached to a rounded off bolt miles kindly sent me a threaded ball. due to the postal strike this however never arrived, presumed lost, so i bought a 6mm rose joint which fitted perfectly on to the new rod. gear change is now nice and tight, hope this is of some use as it proved to be a major annoyance to me,

grodsrosejointln7.th.jpg

cheers, pete.

Sign in to follow this