• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

How Much Would You Expect A Garage To Charge

RAF_gti

I am hopefully just away to buy some shiny new SBC suspension for my jelly mobile and have had the local motor sport garage quote me on the fitting! They came back with £300 +VAT! Now to me this seems rather expensive. They based this quote on a computer system which gave the breakdown of times for each component.

It was 4.5 hours for the front, 1 hour for rear shocks and 3.5 for the bar!

For anybody who has had it done, or done it themselves how much did it cost/take?

FYI the torsion bar has recently been serviced so shold not be too much of a pain to remove.

Steve

welshpug

Doesnt sound too bad that at all, 9 hours work for £300.

£33.33 per hour plus vat, which is less than a dealer would charge you.

I was about to ask why you didn't get SBC to fit them then saw your location.. DOH!

TEKNOPUG

That sounds about right to me. The front is a little excessive. Why not do it yourself? It very easy, just a case of undoing and some nuts and bolts and then putting it back together again.

Powers

Or send jonnie205 a pm as hes not far away from you.

Hes in Bicsester.

jackherer
Or send jonnie205 a pm as hes not far away from you.

Hes in Bicsester.

If you're near Jonnie205 then its well worth PMing him.

pug_ham

If the beam has recently been refurbished the torsion bar adjustments can be done in under two hours imo. Last time I reset mine I got it done in an hour start to finish (wheels to wheels).

Rear shocks are taken off as part of adjusting the rear bars so thats a swizz imo.

I think you'd be able to do all this in under six hours, are the SBC front struts all built up or do the top mounts need tranferring over from old to new?

Graham.

Dream Weaver

I recently fitted the SBC kit front and rear, although I didn't have to lower the rear beam.

It took me a few weeks to do, but in actual hours probably took me about 10-15 hours.

I am a SLOW meticulous worker though who tends to remove stuff, then clean it all up, then check everything, re-fit then double check, then have a kit-kat break etc etc :D

Its all easy enough to do yourself.

SamGTi

Another vote here for doing it yourself. I have learnt everything I know about cars thanks to fiddling with and fitting parts to my 205. It really isn't that hard when you get into it.

Super Josh
That sounds about right to me. The front is a little excessive. Why not do it yourself? It very easy, just a case of undoing and some nuts and bolts and then putting it back together again.

As said, pretty easy really. Although you will need some spring compressors for the front struts, around the 20- 30 quid mark :D

Josh

Miles

You should get the front done in a couple of hour's as you can build the strut's up out of the car, Don;t forget new strut top bearings and rubbers thou.

The rear even if done don;t expect it to come apart, I know of someone recently who had a beam built by someone and it's rusted up in just over a year, So without a doubt the rear will take longer than the front.

jonnie205

That aint a too bad quote, as miles says the rear will almost certainly not come aprt meaning trailing arms off and onto a press to get the bars out. Would be worth doing the beam bearings and seals while the beam is apart. I could do it for a bit cheaper, pm if your interesred

Sign in to follow this