• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris 417 mi

Mi16 Back From Mapping And Not Happy

chris 417 mi

Just got my 205 back from the rolling road at my local tuning company and not pleased with the resut at all :o

heres the results :

graph 1

graph 2

Spec of engine :

mi16 rebuilt 2 years ago with standard head refitted

catcams cams & vernier pulleys

Jenvey throttle bodies running on omex 500 ecu

Pugspares 421 exhaust manifold

The clutch is brand new, its had bigger injectors fitted from an 1.8 20v turbo engine (249cc i think) and all new leads rotor arm and dizzy cap.

Why is the power sooo far down when other members of this site have seen higher gains from less extras :)

welshpug

links dont work!

how does it drive?

B1ack_Mi16

Can't see the pics, just get redirected to main page of photobucket.

chris 417 mi

it wont let me add any pictures, for some reason the total space left has gone down to 17k when its usually 250k ish, how can i get some pictures up ?

brianthemagical

so what was the max bhp then? are you sure your correctly comparing fly and whell figures?

petert

Use this link:

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/chrisl417/

140hp at the wheels is not too shabby, but I would have expected 145-150hp at the wheels. There's lots of variables of course - compression, ignition timing, cam timing etc. How much time did they spend on the later two?

Miles

That is bad, From the pic's the head looks like if it's been worked on as the std ports (inlet) are nothing like that, With it set up correctly you should see over 200bhp (Flywheel), Are the injectors OK etc

pug_ham
it wont let me add any pictures, for some reason the total space left has gone down to 17k when its usually 250k ish, how can i get some pictures up ?
You should have the option of attaching the picture to your account on here when you are creating the topic or making a reply (fadd reply not through quick reply).

Graham.

chris 417 mi
140hp at the wheels is not too shabby, but I would have expected 145-150hp at the wheels. There's lots of variables of course - compression, ignition timing, cam timing etc. How much time did they spend on the later two?

The car was on the rollers for approx six hours with the guy telling me he had tried everything to get 200 hp but to not avail :(

That is bad, From the pic's the head looks like if it's been worked on as the std ports (inlet) are nothing like that, With it set up correctly you should see over 200bhp (Flywheel), Are the injectors OK etc

The other head in the photobucket album is the old hfh one, the one thats on now was a standard one from matt at QEP. injectors were from ebay and seemed ok, any way to double check though ??

Really Cant understand why its so down on power, unless its the rollers reading under or possibly due to the temperature in the bay where the dyno is (check ambient temp on the graphs ). :)

You should have the option of attaching the picture to your account on here when you are creating the topic or making a reply (fadd reply not through quick reply).

Yeah i have ..but it will only let me add pictures up to 17k not the usual 250 k, only done this since 2 days ago though, could a mod have a look to see if anythings been disabled on my account please :D

Edited by chris 417 mi

Richie-Van-GTi

injectors came from a low milage audi 1.8 turbo so should be fine, if they were at fault I would of expected the tuners to notice it TBH. Im driving it home this morning but its been a while since I drove it in its previous state so going to be hard to make a comparison to before.

I still maintain, dont worry too much until its seen a different set of rollers as a comparison.

Sandy

If there was a problem with the injectors, the mapper would have been well aware of it.

Super Josh

What compression ratio are you running now?

Josh

kate205gti

hmm :( that does sound low - did they check cam timing?? does it feel restricted at any rev range? apart from the bhp figure how does the car feel?

bhp is great for boasting about down the pub but means feck all really :) if the car feels and drives fast then who cares :D

Edited by kate205gti

Richie-Van-GTi

right, just back from driving it about 25-30miles.

There is a serious lack of power low down, to the point I was cogging down on a 1 in 7 incline. Off load the throttle responce is amazing, under load however it feels as though its borking slightly and doesnt want to go, theres no notable difference when it comes on cam either. Its definatley slower than before even though its about 7 bhp up on before, probably due to lack of midrange.

At the moment the trumpets are very short (about 50mm) but when the car first got the bodies the guy at omex in gloucester had tried various trumpets and said these were the best. However at that point the engine wasnt cammed and it made 185bhp which seems a reasonable figure for a rebuilt MI on jenvey's. Since then its dropped power with piper cams and now still down on cat cams. I suspect a poor map but any imput is appreciated as this should be over 200bhp now.

the print outs give the afr at around 13's right through

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi
What compression ratio are you running now?

Josh

standard CR.

Sam

Isn't the spray pattern on a turbo injector wrong for an N/A engine?

petert

You need to do two things:

1. Measure the lift at TDC on the inlet cam

2. Check the cranking pressure

It sounds suspiciously like it's low on compression.

Edited by petert

Richie-Van-GTi

A couple of things I thought may be factors.

standard dizzy igntion, can the omex 500 do ignition and if so whats required as Im guessing it may not be correct for the set up.

Fuel pressure reg, doesnt have a vac pipe on it, I know its probably mapped around this but would there be any benfit from fitting one?

I know chris has spoke to Matt at QEP and his advice was the cam timing is out.

gizzmo
right, just back from driving it about 25-30miles.

There is a serious lack of power low down, to the point I was cogging down on a 1 in 7 incline. Off load the throttle responce is amazing, under load however it feels as though its borking slightly and doesnt want to go, theres no notable difference when it comes on cam either. Its definatley slower than before even though its about 7 bhp up on before, probably due to lack of midrange.

At the moment the trumpets are very short (about 50mm) but when the car first got the bodies the guy at omex in gloucester had tried various trumpets and said these were the best. However at that point the engine wasnt cammed and it made 185bhp which seems a reasonable figure for a rebuilt MI on jenvey's. Since then its dropped power with piper cams and now still down on cat cams. I suspect a poor map but any imput is appreciated as this should be over 200bhp now.

the print outs give the afr at around 13's right through

i think uv answeared your own question piper cam,cat power dropped each time, im no expert but as an engineer was taught that we must have a datum to work from, my new head with catcams is currently with matt at qep and funds allowing my bottom end will be rebuilt soon so as part of the work he will be setting up the cams which will be the datum the other compenents will be referenced to

Miles

Yes the OMEX 500 can does the lot, Just get a coil pack which gets shot of that horrid Dizzy thing the ECU has a inbuilt amp as well, but shouldn't the RR sorted the timing out as it's not a long job if the cover's are off

Richie-Van-GTi

the cams themseleves shouldnt be the issue though, it has to be down to either the map or the cam position, assuming the engine isnt dropping compression which although not checked as yet it doesnt seem likely since it had a fairly recent rebuild and every gasket is new, valves just reseated etc.

Anthony

Cam timing would be my first suspicion - get that wrong and it's very easy to get an engine that's as flat as a pancake and has disappointing power figures.

Worth doing a compression check though as others have stated to make sure that's there's nothing really wrong, although I really would have expected the RR operator to have done that as a matter of course if the engine wasn't producing the goods.

petert

If the inlet cam timing is retarded it will lower the effective compression. Remember that the compression stroke doesn't start until the inlet valve closes. Thus why I said to check both inlet timing and compression.

brumster
If the inlet cam timing is retarded...

Steady on, the inlet cam timing gets sensitive about remarks like that :)

Watching this thread with interest as I'm keen to see what it was, in case I face the same issues :(

I take it you have checked for small rodents trapped in the throttle body trumpets? Goes without saying, really. Sorry, I'll try and offer something constructive next time :D

Richie-Van-GTi

the inlet cam and exhaust cam should both of been set to the figures quoted by cat cams and matt at QEP by the company that done the mapping. Im going to try and fudge an extension bar together for my DTi today and check it tonight when chris is home from work. If its not set up as it should be then Chris is taking it straight back to the comapny and demanding it is all redone correctly.

Sign in to follow this