• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Single Wiper

Jrod

If you have a single wiper sitting in the middle of the screen is this legal / will it pass a MOT?

I always thought not but the Koenigsegg CCX has it as standard

koenigsegg_ccx_1.jpg

I know its a supercar but surely same rules apply?

jim205GTI

It will pass aslong as the sweep of the blade covers a certain amount of windscreen...... :)

THe ax has a single wiper and i'm sure the bx does too...... so it must be legal!!

VisaGTi16v

As does my Visa and lots of older Citroens, mercs, 911s etc although not sure about them sitting in the middle. There are a number of aftermarket conversions which do. I guess as long as they do the sweep and are not in the line of sight area they use for stone chips etc then it should be fine and the improved aerodynamics must give at least 0.0003bhp heh

Baz

ZX's do too. But they don't sit in the centre of the screen, it may be classed as a obstruction to the driver's vision?

Jrod

I'm not going to move mine to the middle, looks to chav. Wasn't sure if it was legal though since I saw that car on top gear the other night and noticed.

sonofsam

Yeah, if it parks in the middle it will fail! Talks from experience :rolleyes:

You going to make your own? I know a tasty trick :D

GTI6BOY

had 1 and it passed an mot but with the really heavy rain we have, you can see fcuk all while driving, im changing mine back

sonofsam

Yes they dont wipe aswell either.

VisaGTi16v
:rolleyes:

luggy

Bought my pug with a single wiper conversion nearly 8 years ago, never had problems, never failed an MOT.

Jrod

I already have one, it came with it.

Car won't really be used in the rain much to be honest so it should be fine.

GLPoomobile
I already have one, it came with it.

Car won't really be used in the rain much to be honest so it should be fine.

The only benefit to having it parked in the middle is aerodynamics, hence why a CCX would take advantage of this, and why it is pointless on our cars.

As said, it won't be as effective, and it looks crap IMHO.

In terms of an MOT, I would have thought the same rules would apply as those governing stone chips, i.e. as long as they are not in a certain area in the drivers vision, they are not a fail (unless a serious crack). In the Haynes manual this area is shown as covering more or less the same area as the steering wheel when you draw vertical lines upwards from each side of the wheel. Perhaps in a small hatchback with a relatively narrow windscreen it will fail as the wiper is closer to your vision when parked in the middle, whereas a car like the CCX has a much wider screen and therefore the wiper would be further to the side from the drivers vision.

Jrod

I quite like the look of it in the middle.

single.jpg

I don't like it from the inside that's why mine is parked on the left and staying there. :rolleyes: Just bought a BX arm so I can have the spray built in. :D

welshpug

you dont need the whole arm, just the spraybar off a 405

I dont like it when they're sat in the middle, it looks like some lazy bugger has turned off before they park :rolleyes:

WildCards

Mine came with a single wiper conversion too unfortunately. As it won't make the car any faster either way it'll be staying like it too. Although it doesn't stop in the 'up' position thankfully.

205mattgti

i have a single wiper kit on mine, went throught the mot with it parked in the upright position

having said that it doesnt clear the screen aswell as having 2 wiper blades,

have now moved mine to the left as find it annoying when driving along with it parked upright

pug_ham

I had a homemade single wiper on mine & set it parked at the drivers side, never had any problems with it in the rain on the motorway in a downpour or anything except for it got carried away once & rode over the screen rubber & jammed but that was the first time I used it after fitting.

Easily fixed later though but I've since removed it & gone back to the twin wipers with the BX spray bars on.

Centre park wipers usually fail due to them being considered an obstruction to the driver but its down to the tester as always & if he is a mate etc...

Graham.

Jrod

and by the looks if it the wiper is very heavy! :):D

Sign in to follow this