• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

406 2.0t Engines Out. How Much Wiring Do I Remove?

craig f90

HI, just wondering if i have to remove all of the loom from the 406 with all fuse boxes? (am i wasting time?) or do i chop it at the bulkhead? :P obviously i will make sure the keypads loom is taken out safely. ive spent all day trying to get the dash out and those ruddy wires. And ive still gotta fit em to the 205. arrrgh!!!! :o

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

Hi, This is what's connected to the two fuseboxes as per the Haynes manual for the 406 and per my engine too!

I would take all of it for now, just to be on the safe side, then work out what you do and dont need.

My loom was chopped at the bulkhead and made it more difficult for me

to accertain where it was all supposed to go, however I still managed

to get everything working including the gauges etc(apart from rev counter at the momonet anyway;), by using a multimeter :P

craig f90

Cheers sam. its a total mare to get out. So many ties and condulate. I was thinking if i chop it at the bulkhead from the outside and again from the inside keeping passenger fuse box, that would alow me to figure out which wires go where. the car HAS to go this sunday :( . (mums going nuts) :)

craig f90

Still toying with your rev counter converter sonosam? or is it a little more deeper? Seriously, im interested. Taking the engine out of the 406 was fairly straight forward. ive labeled all of the wires. (its shocking when the engines removed and you stand back at the car and realise the ammount of plugs you have disconected. mainly random things like headlamps,horn washers and so on.) Ive delved in further removing the dials and relay/fusebox and chased the wires to the ignition barrel and all across the cars dashboard fially got the keypad out too. Basicly i want to say thanks for the advice :P:D and i can understand what you may have gone through if it was cut at the bulkhead, so many many wires. (ive spent hours chasing them. no way a breaker could warrant the time taken) Not far to go now :rolleyes: i still have a million wires to remove across the passenger side. radio,air con & blah, blah.

many thanks, craig.

p.s cheers sam, for the fusebox engine diagram.

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

No worries Craig :rolleyes: Nice to be appreciated!

Yes rev counter diode pack will get installed shortly(looks very straight froward), but bodywork beckons

and with the great weather we are having at the moment it is a slow process having no

garage (bring out the violins,lol)

Your doing the right thing mate, labelling etc, getting to know your loom well will

help in the future, should you have any failure or electrical niggles.

Yep loads of sensor isnt their, but in all honesty there are only three or four wires

that need the essentials from the 205 brown multiplugs( live, switch live etc) to get the engine running.

The main running will come from the big relay from the turbo loom, known as the 'injection double relay'

(you will find some pictures on the search to help indetify things if you get stuck)

Once I'd accertained what was what, I stripped of all those unnecessary plugs of the turbo loom

(lights, air con etc) I reckon mine was came from the exec model with all the options, as the loom is huge!

The loom will be much easier to work on once removed from the car. If you need any more scanned

in from the 406 haynes just give me a nod :D Plenty in there about sensor's and the starting and charging

circuit that may come in usefull.

craig f90

Ah, the bodywork. more my thing sonosam ( panel beater/painter by trade), its a shame i live so far away. i genuinley would help you on that one. you need a gazeebo? Good news on the rev counter front then. Im pleased for you. My 406 was loaded with extras too, makes one stonking loom, it filled a storage box!!!. Funnily enough ive just today purchaced a haynes on the 406 after you posted the diagram. (which genuinley made sense & got me shopping for one) ive noticed today after a scan through the wiring diagrams that i recognise some of the wire numbers as i was chasing them through the car. (you know the feeling when you see a number thats in your head, then you see it in the manual?) My worry is ill remove a few nesseary wires. :lol: Thanks for putting up the wires to get it started, running, You make more sense than a book. I would like to put more questions to you if i may? maybe which page to refer to? i have most parts now bar a vss (not sure of origin to buy? and a 1.9 long driveshaft. ill find them soonish :lol: Feel free to fire any body& paint questions my way. posts or e-mail? Seriously mate, your a great help.

Edited by craig f90

craig f90

Does any one have a pic of the infamous Injection double relay? is it the big black box? can any one describe it please? :)

craig f90

Yikes i dont have one of those, sonosam. i thought mine was a big box sitting in the same compartment as the ecu. Oh bugger :P I cant see it in the flaiming haynes manual (im gonna feed it to the dog). worst of all my 406 is a P reg. Oh the things we do for fun/ hobbies. at least ive got the flywheel, clutch on the engine. gear box time tomorow. Thanks for the picture sonosam.

sonofsam

Aye, its all fun & games isnt it:)

I was under the impresion you had the whole car to break?

Was it driveable before you took the engine out?

maybe put up a picture of what you thought was the injection double relay,

you can always get one from the breakers if it's not there.

The relay is pictured/diagramed here : http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring406/index.shtml

Sam.

craig f90

Again sam, you are a legend.

Ive had a look at those diagrams and it seems that mine IS the black box which has a red connecter on it i was looking at. it was in a box with the Ecu. the haynes didnt have a picture, it just said that one exists (Obviously). I did a search for something or other just being curious about the wiring and found a link to that site. i keep adding stuff that i find useful to my favourates, then my brother cleans them out. Yeah i have the whole car, which is a bonus to me. (mum disagrees). my friend and i decided to cut the loom at a safe place to get it off her drive, and still managed to leave the multi function relay inside its up behind the dash. a lessson for next time. kicking myself now. should have bought the haynes sooner. My mate used it until the t&t ran out. He was gonna do it but he is nova and corsa mad. 2.0 1.6v turbo'd loads of them. Stupidly i said i'd have a go. (why???) I'm carefully taking the wires out that im certain :) i dont need. As you've said in another post to rex theres plenty of those. Sorry to keep putting up posts (im a worrrier), just that its great when you have helpful and experienced guys like you to ask.

Thanks again sam, best regards craig.

craig f90

think ive figured the multi function relay out. most seem to be lighting. indicators & light switch. obviously ignition cc01 on it too. along with the STOP light for the dash, well i think thats what manuals refering to. Ive also Been to main peugeot dealed about a vss. they quoted £75ish for a 3 pin with speedo drive But the 406 vss has only 2 pins. Can i use a 3 pin one? no cog at the bottom either do i use green 406 one or red 205 one?regards, craig.

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

Have you checked the plug on the turbo loom and it's definately a two pin ?

Mine uses a three pin, I would just get the right one, two or three pin.

Those ones with no cog, wont be any use, as you need the cog for the 205 speedo cable.

The one I got has three pins and a cog, so it has a connection for the turbo loom and a cog to operate the 205 speedo cable.

17 teeth are needed on the cog iirc. I was lucky enough to have that on the VSS already.

Sam

P.s no need apoligize for putting up post's, thats what this place is here for :blush:

craig f90

cheers sam. just not sure if im asking too many stupid questions.

ive been outside to check it again and it had 2 pins :unsure: The parts guy didnt have one with 2 pins and a speedo socket, So that was that. (Anoying, he couldnt be bothered for a £75 part sale) But he did say that the vss cogs are interchangable. Mines green with 20 teeth. one for the bin then.

Ive got a red one at work so ill count them and hope that solves the missing cogs when i find one. according to the haynes the vss has 3 wires too. im gonna spend time checking it further see which wires missing. Im confusing my self already. still taking lights, air con, abs, and so on from that big fat loom hopefully leaving me with the vital wires and a few spares i can cut out in anger/relief.

cheers, craig

craig f90

Ive had a look around the forum and it seems Ant has had the same problem with his 2 pin vss too. he has had to modify his using the turbo vss and the 1.9 one. ive got the loom down to half of its original size now.

i would assume i dont need the wires to the instruments only a feed to the rev counter? the wires from the water temp and oil sensors will go to the 205s instruments?? and i can loose the passenger,engine and one of the battery fuse boxes but keep the 50amp battery fuse box?

cheers, craig.

Edited by craig f90

Sign in to follow this