• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt1900

Xu10j2 Head Fitted,

matt1900

put a 2 litre head on my 1.9, had it properly skimmed and mount corrected. although it now flys above 3k, it runs with a very lumpy idle.

i re-checked the emissions and the co is still at 2.5 to 3, but the hydrocarbons are sky high now at about 1300. im sure they were no higher than 400 before.

does anyone have any ideas what might cause a slight misfire at idle with this conversion? also anyone know if i'd fail an mot with my hc this high?

nice one

Matt

Dom9

What cam are you using and is it all timed up ok? The amount of skimming on the XU10J2 head usually means you need to adjust the timing, hence most (if not all) of us who did the conversion used a vernier pulley!

matt1900
What cam are you using and is it all timed up ok? The amount of skimming on the XU10J2 head usually means you need to adjust the timing, hence most (if not all) of us who did the conversion used a vernier pulley!

i just used the standard 1.9 cam, is deffo timed correctly. hard to go wrong with pins and marks on belt and pulleys.

have to say it didn't occur to me the timing would be affected, i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to mods.

vernier pulley it is then- nice one Dom :)

Dom9

Yeah, the problem is that when you skim 1mm - 2mm off the head to get the compression up, the timing marks are no longer in the correct place! You might be lucky and be a whole tooth out, so you may want to try moving the cam a tooth?

The other thing is, do you know how much you did have skimmed off? Does it pink at all? Your compression could be higher or lower than the original 1.9, which may affect things... Or your dizzy could need swinging? A bit of trial and error would probably get it sorted!

Anthony

Something's definately amiss with the HC that high as that's alot of unburnt fuel (and high enough that it will fail an MOT). The CO is high but not excessively so (should be 1-2%) so I wouldn't say that it's running mega-rich and hence something else is causing the high HC's.

It's certainly not something that's a problem with all XU10 head swaps - my own 1.9 8v with XU10 head has emissions low enough that it will nearly pass a CAT test.

matt1900
Yeah, the problem is that when you skim 1mm - 2mm off the head to get the compression up, the timing marks are no longer in the correct place! You might be lucky and be a whole tooth out, so you may want to try moving the cam a tooth?

The other thing is, do you know how much you did have skimmed off? Does it pink at all? Your compression could be higher or lower than the original 1.9, which may affect things... Or your dizzy could need swinging? A bit of trial and error would probably get it sorted!

thing is it flies top end, astoundingly so in comparison to my experience with 1.9s', so could it really be a whole tooth out?

i had 1.65mm skimmed off after searching for the info on here, which hopefully would have raised the compression a tad.

yeah it does pink, worse when hot. i'm still undergoing the trial n error. doesn't seem to accelerate quite as hard when i retard it to reduce the pinking though.

is it really possible to stop these cars pinking entirely though? cos there always seems to be an initial pink under sudden accelleration no matter where u got the dizzy. or am i wrong?

matt1900
Something's definately amiss with the HC that high as that's alot of unburnt fuel (and high enough that it will fail an MOT). The CO is high but not excessively so (should be 1-2%) so I wouldn't say that it's running mega-rich and hence something else is causing the high HC's.

It's certainly not something that's a problem with all XU10 head swaps - my own 1.9 8v with XU10 head has emissions low enough that it will nearly pass a CAT test.

i was kind of linking the high HC with the lumpy idle, thought if it's missing slightly down low when the emisions are being read then lots of unburnt fuel will be getting chucked out.

so hopefully solving one prob will cure the other? thats the plan anyway lol

j_turnell

Sounds like the advance curve is wrong possibly, have you checked your ignition timing?

Mattsav

Either the cam timing is off or a valve is bent/seating badly

pug_ham

With the head skimmed you really ought to use a vernier pulley to get the cam timing correct again.

I am currently looking into this for a friends car that has a skimmed 1900 head & cam fitted on a 1.6 bottom end & I've run out of adjustment on the dizzy slot trying to get it to run perfectly.

The previous owner of the engine in that car said with the timing pins fitted the cambelt was approximately half a tooth out so there is definately some room for adjustment.

I'm hoping to do this the easy way rather than have to get a DTI etc set up to check the cam is timed correctly by fitting the timing pins & marking the cam so I can check it hasn't moved & then fitting the vernier I have from a 106 TUD engine & then loosening the vernier bolts so when I tension the belt it moves the gear teeth rather than the whole cam thus keeping the cam timed to the crank as intended.

Graham.

matt1900

nice one lads. think i'll get myself a vernier and have a play, hopefully this can improove things. really hope there aint a dodgy valve - they all looked ok.

so it's possible to run out of adjustment on the dizzy? great that should complicate things no end!

thanks again. :rolleyes:

matt

welshpug

Whenever the cam timing is altered the Ignition timing needs checking and re-setting as the dizzy runs off the cam on an XU.

matt1900

been pretty busy and only just got some time to look at this problem again.

haven't managed to get a vernier pulley either, which i'm probably gonna have to do, but i'm tempted to slip the cam pulley a tooth to see if there's any improvement, so i've got 2 quick questions to ask.

someone told me that skimming would have retarded my cam timing so i need to advance to correct it, can anyone confirm this??

also, is there any risk of me causing damage by shifting 1 tooth? just wanna be sure.

ta

matt

puginfo

so it's possible to run out of adjustment on the dizzy? great that should complicate things no end!

>>> how did you get the XU9 dizzy onto the XU10 head? was it going direct into the place where the original coil pack was or using the XU9 water sensor housing?

Anthony

Just use an XU9 thermostat housing rather than the XU10 one. Dizzy then goes straight on with no hassle.

You shouldn't run out of adjustment unless either the cam timing is way out or there's a problem with the dizzy itself

matt1900

advanced the cam by 1 tooth, started pinking very badly so had to retard the dizzy loads to stop this. seems to be more power below 3k now but maybe not quite as much as before ubove 3k. suspect the cam wasn't a full tooth out so gonna have to get a vernier pulley.

of course i haven't really got a clue what i'm doing, so it's trail and error all the way. :unsure:

matt

oh yeah, and the dizzy has a lot more range on the adjustment now.

Edited by matt1900

matt1900

found the reason for my misfire at idle, i was losing compression through spark plug no3.

so i was arsing around with the timing for nothing, what a bell end i am.

ive put it all back the way it was before. defo gonna wait till i get a vernier and the help of someone who knows what they're doing with a dti gauge before i try messing with the cam timing again.

till the next pointless thread, i bid u farewell.

matt

Sign in to follow this