• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest labrat

Tyre Size

Guest labrat

OK, we're refurbing a set of 1.9 speedlines and they're coming up pretty well. So we've decided to put new rubber on them (F1's) so the question now is what size :

185 55 or 195 50

What do people suggest ?

And how much should we expect to pay ?

Where from ?

This will be on a standard suspension setup if that makes any great difference.

TIA

Guest ScoobyJawa

195 50 - much cheaper.

Eagle F1 GSD3 - 40-50 quid depending where from

Toyo Proxes T1-S - 30-40 quid depending

Guest Olly H

I agree, 195 50's are the way to go.

Mine had 195 45's on when I bought it, when I came to replace the front two tyres I found it cost hardly any more to replace all 4 with 195 50's, so that's what I did.

I got 4 pirreli 6000's for about £200.

However I'm not overly impressed with them, they don't seem to have as much grip as I'd like.

You can get them cheap online and get them fitted at a local place, but I don't know how much they would charge if they did it.

I just phoned up all the local tyre centres to find the best price.

Guest d-9

Silly question... do they have the same rolling radius?

Guest Olly H

almost.

185 and 195 are the width of the tyre in mm's.

the profile (50 and 55) is the size of the tyre wall as a percentage of the width.

185/55 has a tyre wall of 0.55 * 185 = 101.75mm

195/50 has a tyre wall of 0.50 * 195 = 97.5mm

So that's less than a centimetre smaller diameter for the 195's, not worth worrying about.

There's a good site on the net for calculating wheel and tyre sizes, but I forget where it is.

C_W
I agree, 195 50's are the way to go.

Mine had 195 45's on when I bought it, when I came to replace the front two tyres I found it cost hardly any more to replace all 4 with 195 50's, so that's what I did.

I got 4 pirreli 6000's for about £200.

If you went from 195/45s to 195/50s is should have been a lot CHEAPER as they are a much more common tyre.

Think F1s 195/45s are around £60 compared with £40 for the 195/50s

Guest Olly H

It WAS a lot cheaper, was about £50 a tyre for the 50's and at least £75 for the 45's, your prices look like online prices, I just went to a garage.

Not a fantastic deal but I did shop around a bit, my mum recently paid £170 for two F1's (195/45's) on her polo gti !

Guest labrat

WOW !!! ... thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm, been phoning round a bit and noticed the 185's being quite a bit more expensive at about £90 with the 195's coming in at £60 ... as people have suggested the 195 50 is a much more common size.

Any suggestions as to the best place to get them from ?

Thanks

Guest Brick-IT

The online tyre size calculator is great for checking how much the speedo will be out by and can be found at this page

Cheers,

Jim

Sign in to follow this