• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
IanG Dorset

A Question About Driving Lamps

IanG Dorset

I have just got new driving lamps and i was testing them before i put the bumper back on and they light up with the lights on high and low beam

Is this normal? for some reason i got it in my head that they only came on with high beam?

I am a bit confused about it all now :D:P

t16ryan

Yep only come on with mainbeam :P

IanG Dorset

wtf! mine come on with high and low but not dipped!

So they should only come on in high?

I know that i have used the same wires as before

Paintguy
wtf! mine come on with high and low but not dipped!

So they should only come on in high?

I know that i have used the same wires as before

Me no understandy :P

What do you mean by " they come on with high and low"?

They should only come on with full/main beam, not when on dipped beam, or on sidelights (except when you flash)

IanG Dorset

they basicaly come on with every thing apart from side lights

I am confused about how to explain it.

I think this may work

side lights - of

low beam(when the green light is on the dash) - on

High beam(when the green and red light is on the dash) - on

and they do come on aswell when they flash

what are is the correct name for each light setting?

Paintguy

Ah right.

Sorry, you got me confused as you mentioned 3 settings earlier : high (on), low (on), and dipped (off).

It does sound as though something is wrong there then. They shouldn't be on with dipped beam (or low beam, however you wish to phrase it :P )

The driving lamps should plug into a yellow multiplug near the headlights, so there's not much can go wrong there. The large earth block also near the headlamps can sometimes cause problems, but that usually causes them not to work at all if anything.

Have you disturbed any of the wiring to the relay (near the rad expansion tank) or the steering column switch?

Edited by Paintguy

IanG Dorset

I dont have a yellow plug on one side but there is on on the other.

On the side with the yellow plug there is only one wire goin in to the back of it. It looks like there has been two before tho as there is about 2cm of a cut wire coming out of the back asell. All i did was to cut this off and join then up how they have been. Well i thought i had!

This is on both sides that this happening on aswell! I think they must have been messed about by some one in the past. I will have to look at them in the morning as i have not got it all back together yet.

Could you maybe tell me where i should look for the corect wires considering that neither has the little yellow block connector

I have a test lamp that is very handy for this sort of stuff

**** that reply i have writen is with me thinking the yellow conector is one that hangs down under the lights that only the driving lamp wires go to and not the one that is fixed further up.

welshpug

IIRC (I will check in the morning) the only yellow connector will be the ones for the Spot lamps, both 2 spade type and located just behind the headlamp, one wire is a feed and the other earth obviously.

steve@cornwall

This can happen with a bad earth, usually if you tun the lights on - driving lamps off , until you select main beam, driving lamps come on as supposed to. Back to main beam and the driving lamps don't go off as they should.

Check and clean the earth block connector behind the headlights.

IanG Dorset

I have been fidiling about with this for a wile this morning and the only thing i can think of doing is leaving it as it is now or taking it to a garage.

I realy dont know what else to do.

Is it illigal to have driving lamps on all the time?

madspikes

I expect some chav has wired them up as front fogs, so they can looks cool driving with them on all the time! Best disconect them before the law gives you a tug!

You could get a driving light fitting kit from halfords and replace the wiring to the driving lights easy to do. I could have a quick look for you as i'm only down the road, but quite busy at the moment.

Mad.

tom_m

sounds like an earth related problem, i know if you don't have the headlights plugged in then they come on all the time too.

jackherer
This can happen with a bad earth, usually if you tun the lights on - driving lamps off , until you select main beam, driving lamps come on as supposed to. Back to main beam and the driving lamps don't go off as they should.

They also get stuck on when you have no headlights in (on track for example) so you may be on to something there.

edit: too slow

Edited by jackherer

IanG Dorset

Thanks for the help

I will check my eaths, It does seem odd as it is both of them doing it.

It may be as madspikes said :blink: It does look like some on has been pissing about with them in the past.

If so then i may need to get one of those driving light fitting kits.

IanG Dorset

Its all sorted now. I used the live wire going in to the main beam headlamp and the origional earth.

Well i think it was like that any way

But basicaly i now have driving lamps that work when they are meant to ^_^

Sign in to follow this