• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GWtaylor

Just Stoped Workinng?

GWtaylor

Changed the starter motor on my 87 1.6 CTI

After reading the haynes manual on how to change the starter i took the inlet manifold off (which now realising i didnt need to)

put it back on with blue gasket sealent with no gasket ( needed car ASAP and couldnt get hold of a gasket quick enough)

Started ok But while it ticked over i did have a play with the mixture and air screw which made it tickover better

Drove about 8 miles with it stuttering abit clueless to why it was. Then it just broke down and wouldnt start have just changed the spark plugs thinking that might be the problem

2 where white on the head

2 where black on the head

No joy still won't start baffeled to why it would just suddenly break down??

Any help very much appriciated

GWtaylor

Gonna check for spark on all 4 plugs and put a new gasket on tomorrow.

Also would removing the throtle position sensor then replacing it have much affect

Pugnut
Gonna check for spark on all 4 plugs and put a new gasket on tomorrow.

Also would removing the throtle position sensor then replacing it have much affect

tps has little effect on the general running. only idle and wot . i fear you may have sealent blocking an injector. did you apply the salant liberally or just a small smear?

GWtaylor

not very neatly

If it is what step is next

Richie-Van-GTi

whne you get the gasket just whip the injectors out and clean them up, also clean all the faces up on the manifold and head. It sounds unlikely tobe this though, I would expect for it to run on 3 pots if it was selanat, higjhly unlikely all 4 seald shut after it had been running already. Does it do anything at the moment? IE cranks, splutters etc?

PS, Im only down the road along with a few other members :D

gti-si

The mixture screw shouldn't really make much of a difference, this is for idle only. And as said, the tps is on idle and wide open throttle. I'd definatly get hold of a gasket, whip the injectors out and clean up the faces. Then go form there. I've got a spare gasket if you need one posted down.

GWtaylor

Ok i will whip the injectors out as well how do i go about cleaning them

It doesnt even splutter just turns over on the alternator

will keep you all posted

RICHIE your spec sounds good on your motor :blush:

Pugnut
whne you get the gasket just whip the injectors out and clean them up, also clean all the faces up on the manifold and head. It sounds unlikely tobe this though, I would expect for it to run on 3 pots if it was selanat, higjhly unlikely all 4 seald shut after it had been running already. Does it do anything at the moment? IE cranks, splutters etc?

PS, Im only down the road along with a few other members :blush:

all the sealant needs to do is upset the spray pattern , it doesnt need to block an injector , which i doubt it would do with a couple of bar pressure behind them

GWtaylor

Right up to now i have changed the plugs checked there is a spark and there is.

So i went to fueling at first no fuel was getting to the rail then it just decided to appear so it started fine

Then switched it off for 5 min same problem wouldnt start could my fuel pump be on the way out because i checked the connection and does the return valve have much to do with it??

One other thing the missus did almost run it dry so could it of sucked s*it from the bottom of the tank maybe??

KaspaCti

Might be worth checking your Tachymetric relay as a faulty one would prevent the fuel pump working (IIRC please correct me if I'm wrong) I was having similar problems to you and traced it back to a snapped wire on the coil inside the relay. It had snapped at the point were it was soldered onto the circuit board, but was intermitently making a connection so the car would run fine for a short while then just die. If i left the car for half an hour and tried again it would usually start again and run for a short period again. I resoldered the wire in the relay and it has been fine ever since (12 months or more).

As your car is an'87 model like mine your Tachy relay should be in a black box in front of the battery tray. Is it possible that you've disturbed this when you changed the starter motor? Could also just be bad luck and your tachy relay has taken the opportunity to pack in just to make your day :D

Richie-Van-GTi

if you need a tachy relay mate drop me a pm ^_^

GWtaylor

I'll have a look at that very much appriciated KaspaCTI

Ok will do Rich if it does come down to that

Edited by GWtaylor

GWtaylor
if you need a tachy relay mate drop me a pm :lol:

You have PM :P

GWtaylor

Well fitted the relay yesterday had a full day without any trouble but now it's just cut out again :)

Whats the next step I'm assuming pump

GWtaylor

Might have to go and put it on a machine to find the problem because i really need the car to transport the baby around and the missus is doing her nut

Anybody know of a good place as near to hartlepool as possible

Pugnut

spark signal (feed to ignition amp) comes out the side of the distributor , the connector on the dizzy and the plug/connector about 12 inches down the wire can be troublesome . this connector feeds the tach relay with a signal as well as the ingition amp . but when this fails you get no spark either.

GWtaylor

Will have to try that tomorrow then

Just remembered that my left hand side front anf wing indicator hhas never worked since buying the car.

I have checked for a voltage going threw and there was a small amount but I'm assuming not enough to power the indicator could it be the indicator relay because all of the other indicators work fine

Is it worth a new thred for this info

and at the worst could that have a knock on affect with fueling at some point?

Thanks

GWtaylor

NEW PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after cleaning all my SAD and pipes today it now tickes over smoother

BUT THEN it just cut out

so i whipped a plug out NO SPARK!!! so now it's electrical i know i have an immboliser on it which may be the problem just guessing like

How do i start to trace now Nothing coming from coil

GWtaylor

Just about to un wire immobiliser :rolleyes: wish me look

andymi16

Yes, i had this problem and traced it down to the immobiliser...wiring was shot, good luck.

Sign in to follow this