• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Gear Change Sloppy

djinuk

i have a 205 1.4 xs, recently had new clutch fitted and its been runnning very well, although this morning i got in the car and found it very hard to get into first and 2nd , almost as tho the clutch is not dis-engaging, i allowed the car to warm up and tried again and its still the same, any idea what this could be, its almost as tho im goign for first and getting stuck on somthing, but if i try a few times i manage to push it in but i feel im forcing it in

johnnyboy666

it could be the linkage on the cross member is loose, in which case tighten it up and your all good although, more likely it could be the thrust bearing being ballsed as thats the same symtoms as mine had when that happened, i had to turn the engine off then change gear which was ghey, turned out ,my thrust bearing fell apart and buggered up the clutch completely and i had to get a new one :(

djinuk

just had a new clutch and release bearing though :S

swordfish210

like johnny said, check the ball joint on the subframe, whilst your at it check the whole of the the linkage. When i changed my clutch it was very hard to get in to 1st gear but it all settled down after pressing the clutch a few times so i never found the cause, are the gears grinding when you try to engage them?

djinuk

some times, however this morning i have just got in the car (gear in reverse), pushed clutch down and started it , and the car lept back , so im guessing that the clutch needs adjusting, will let you know how i get on, many thanks :(

Jrod

Try adjusting the clutch a bit, might not be fully disengaging.

djinuk

thats what its beginning to feel like, maybe the clutch cable has stretched,

Jrod

Just adjust it in a bit, It's a 2 minute job. :lol: (not often something on a 205 is that quick to fix though! :( )

johnnyboy666

i hate to say it but that sounds exactly the same as mine when the bearing fell apart, i thought it was the cable, so i adjusted it which helped for about 5 mile or so then it became practically undrivable so be carefull. also the company i got the clutch from (techniclutch) although admiting that the thrust bearing was faulty after a very long analysis period, still refused to give me a refund because the garage used copper grease when fitting it which according to techniclutch they shouldnt, although the garage say theyve always used it and never had any problems

djinuk

adjusted the clutch cable, all seems good, will let you know how i get on :(,

Jrod
i hate to say it but that sounds exactly the same as mine when the bearing fell apart, i thought it was the cable, so i adjusted it which helped for about 5 mile or so then it became practically undrivable so be carefull. also the company i got the clutch from (techniclutch) although admiting that the thrust bearing was faulty after a very long analysis period, still refused to give me a refund because the garage used copper grease when fitting it which according to techniclutch they shouldnt, although the garage say theyve always used it and never had any problems

Yours is an unusual case. It's much more likely to be just a cable than the bearing failing on a new clutch.

Sign in to follow this