• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mandic

Harmonic Balancer

Mandic

Does anyone know where one can get harmonic balancer for Mi16 engine, new OE ones are bloody expensive, its there a company in UK or elsewhere which deals with this?

Cheers

Ziga

Pugnut

what about a flux capacitor?

Super Josh

Wasn't someone selling the crank and pistons from one of the ex Hiflow, brand new engines? Maybe they would sell off the crank pulley separately?

Josh

Mandic

Good idea Josh! Am PMing him right now, rubber part performance must be down a bit due to age though,

Thanks,

Cheers

Ziga

Edited by Mandic

Mandic
what about a flux capacitor?

LOL, need Delorean first :wacko::P

Cheers

Ziga

Mandic

He used it on his engine,

Is there a company which makes custom ones? And do they only need to know the crank natural frequency in order to make one?

Cheers

Ziga

Super Josh

Do Hiflow still have any? I remember Andy broke some of these engines too.

Josh

Mandic

Have already contacted them, waiting for reply...

I think this is also an element which contributes to bearing failure on Mi16 engines, as damping factor decreases by age as rubber part gets harder or disintegrates

Thanks!

Ziga

petert

I had some remade recently, by a company that speciallises in rebuilding harmonic balancers, http://www.rosstuffbond.com.au/ Surely there's something similar in the UK? They were AUS$120 each.

James_R

If the bottom end is balanced then is there a need for a balancer?? Sure it's there to compentsate for the std bottom ends not being dymanically balanced?

Mandic

This has nothing to do with rotational balancing, it has to do with resonating.

When cylinder fires it causes force on the crank, and when it lets go (end of power stroke) this force is eliminated. So this force (wave) causes crank vibrations, which are the strongest at opposite side of the flywheel. And if this vibrations come to the area of natural resonance frequency of the crank, crank starts to vibrate, which may not only lead to bearing damage but even crank crack.

Cheers

Ziga

Edited by Mandic

Mandic
I had some remade recently, by a company that speciallises in rebuilding harmonic balancers, http://www.rosstuffbond.com.au/ Surely there's something similar in the UK? They were AUS$120 each.

Yes I have seen this link on Aussie forum, but I think Alan had some problems contacting them.

By remade You mean made from scratch of did they just repair Yours (rubber part I assume)?

Cheers

Ziga

Mandic

Yes, I have seen this on GTi6 forum,

to mine oppinion this is absolute worst thing You can do.

1. It will do scrap of a difference to engine responce (as J is dependend by r), and cos it is relaitvely smaller than flywheel, You are way better with lighter flywheel.

2. It has no harmonic balancer, it is only a pulley. so it will not dampen the crank and You might be needing new bearigns in near future. It it true that it depends how and where You drive. If for instance natural frequency is at (PRM expressed) 3000 RPM, and You use Your car mainly on tracks so the engine often sees 3000+ RPM You will be fine.

3. For that price You can get used alu cam pulleys which will not harm Your engine and will do just as good as this pulley for engine responce (roughly).

There are things that should be left alone and have weight there for purpose. Just like 2 webber Mi16 crank.

Save Your money and buy a lighter flywheel.

Cheers

Ziga

James_R

Cheers Ziga, being naive ig you think I don't have a light flywheel with it too amoung other things.

And the engine will be stripped every year, so I'm not too fussed :huh:

Mandic

Ah, good then. Do You have that billet steel fly on Your car?

I'm thinking of buing it, but will wait first to see if everything is ok with them.

Dont wanna have holes in my hood :huh:

Cheers

Ziga

James_R

I'm using a different flywheel to the one on the 6 forums, I've got one on my s16 road car already and one going on my 205's engine. This design has been test on several high power (200+) 1.9 8v race engines to over 8.5k so me revving them to 7-7.5k isn't worrying me.

Sign in to follow this