• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oli-pug

1.9 Distributor On A 1.6. Run Ok?

oli-pug

any ideas whether a 1991> 1.6 gti would run ok on a 1.9 gti dizzy (0237009066) i had my doubts at first, due to the 1.9 revving lower etc... but i also heard it can improve mid range on the 1.6!?

will the missmatch of ignition components bugger things up? or are the module and coil the same for 1.6 and 1.9?

cheers in advance,

oli

Richie-Van-GTi

idle and up to around 3500 there isnt a noticeable difference, obove this it generally wont rev as quickly but does give roughly the same driving characteristics. Mabe a little laggy with rolling starts but top end they do feel nice and strong.

Ive only had experience driving one car with this set up though, ignition timing may prove vital with this set up.

welshpug

it'd be more worthwhile to get your original 1.6 dizzy (if you have it) rebuilt by H&H ignition solutions.

Pugnut
idle and up to around 3500 there isnt a noticeable difference, obove this it generally wont rev as quickly but does give roughly the same driving characteristics. Mabe a little laggy with rolling starts but top end they do feel nice and strong.

Ive only had experience driving one car with this set up though, ignition timing may prove vital with this set up.

i'll second that . i used to have the 1.9 dizzy,no internal engine mods but i used one of them PPM ecu's also with no rev limit . on various rolling roads it measured anything between 115-122 at the flywheel . i regularly changed the oil and regularly thrashed the living daylights out of this engine and it loved it . why i ever changed it i dont know. it would pull strongly right up to just before the valves started bouncing!

those were the days..

oli-pug

i've had the 1.9 dizzy on the car for about a year (since i bought it) and i did notice ignition timing was critical and there was noticeable lag before 3500... but then it would really take off right to the limiter!!

problem is i thought the lagginess was down to a knackered dizzy so stripped

it down to find the centrifugal springs for the vac advance werent attached and were rattling about. cannot for the life of me get the bloody thing back together now tho so thought i'd just replace it! then i found it had the 1.9 code on it...

i think im just gonna go for a 1.6 one now then. how much do H&H charge for a rebuild??

zowow

i have one for a 1.4 rallye on mine!!!

dodgy.

still works ok though

skinner2k3

Whats the part number for the 1.9 dizzy?, not sure whats on mine.

oli-pug

1.9 gti- 0237009066

1.6 gti- 0237009076 or 086

skinner2k3
1.9 gti- 0237009066

1.6 gti- 0237009076 or 086

Ta!

(sorry for the hijack)

Sign in to follow this