• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Wtf Driving Lights

Grim.Badger

On my last car I scoundged around scrapyards for a pair of good driving lights and managed to get a pair off a GT or similar. These had plastic reflectors with a silver coating. Now imagine my surprise when I took my GTis lights off last week and they crumble into a rusty pile :(

Now, why were the scrapyard one different and has anyone come across this before? They had SIEM lenses iirc and where can I find the idiot who decided the best material to make GTi driving lamp reflectors out of was steel? (I presume they were steel as they definitely look like rust now rather than ancient deteriorated plastic).

Richie-Van-GTi

new headlights are fairly cheap anyway from GSF or euro parts. No idea if they are plastic or metal inside, I just know they are genuine valeo.

t16ryan

I dont think its headlights hes after -_- i bought 6 sets of driving lights usually £40 the pair i got them for £27 as i bought 6 sets, but £40 aint bad and they change the whole look of the car :P i have seen loadsa different sorts with different lenses on :(

Veero

Hehe yeah Badger the OEM ones had a metal reflector painted with some mirror finish stuff. I was going through all my bulbs and found my O/S driving light was out, eventually got the cover off and half of the reflector fell out in a rusty crumbly pile.

Bodged a connection so it will be ok on the MOT (if they even check driving lights) but really need to get a new pair. I wonder how much they are from pug... :(

Edit: Ooh where'd you get them Ryan? Maybe get several sets and make a few quid on eBay?? -_-

Edited by Veero

IanG Dorset
I dont think its headlights hes after -_- i bought 6 sets of driving lights usually £40 the pair i got them for £27 as i bought 6 sets, but £40 aint bad and they change the whole look of the car :P i have seen loadsa different sorts with different lenses on :(

And where did they come from?

Bodged a connection so it will be ok on the MOT (if they even check driving lights) but really need to get a new pair. I wonder how much they are from pug...

I think they are about £30 each!

jackherer
Bodged a connection so it will be ok on the MOT (if they even check driving lights)

They're not part of the test, although I think you might fail if only one works or they are aimed badly.

t16ryan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-GTI-XS-3...1QQcmdZViewItem

they are same as these , i got them a while back from pisces panels near me, as i got them in bulk he done a deal, i didnt sell any of them i use them as most GTis i buy have crappy lights in them and makes it look alot nicer with nice new shiny ones in :(

Grim.Badger
Bodged a connection so it will be ok on the MOT (if they even check driving lights) but really need to get a new pair. I wonder how much they are from pug... :(

I've removed the lense, reflector and wiring for mine so there is no way it can fail as they can't claim they don't work as there is nothing there but the black plastic backing.

And yes it's driving lights not headlights.

Veero
They're not part of the test, although I think you might fail if only one works or they are aimed badly.

Yeah that was the point really, I wanted both or neither working so just put a link wire in where the spade terminal has corroded off my one. Alignment should be fine.

Veero

Richie-Van-GTi

sorry, my bad. Must learn to read and think at same time.

t16ryan

Its not a fail if only 1 works as its not a tested item, So the aimm doesnt matter either :(

jackherer
Its not a fail if only 1 works as its not a tested item, So the aimm doesnt matter either :(

The reversing light isn't part of the test either but if it comes on at the wrong time it is a definite fail so as the driving lights come on with main beam I wouldn't be surprised if they were too. Any MOT testers reading this?

t16ryan

yep me :D its not a fail ;) if only 1 working theymay advise you but thats all :P

Phil H

New driving lights from Peugeot are about £43 + vat.

richard

what each?!!!

they were around 32+4.50 for the surrounds each the last time i bought them (from pug)

Reversing light is definitely not a fail..both dont have working reverse lights, and neither are the driving lamps a fail either.

dch1950

Hi all,

If you want a cheaper set of driving lights try page 56 of the Vehicle Wiring products catalogue.

1 pair of RING lamps £17.79. Not bad value for a stop gap.

regards

Dave

Rob_the_Sparky

In answer to the original question: I've never come across plastic backed SIEM driving lights. AFAIK originals were all backed with steel and crumble as you describe.

Rob

Grim.Badger
In answer to the original question: I've never come across plastic backed SIEM driving lights. AFAIK originals were all backed with steel and crumble as you describe.

Rob

I'm really begining to regret not stripping that car down before it was scrapped; I know how to re-silver the plastic ones.

Anyone else come across plastic backed lights, Siem or not? They may not have been Siem as I know I changed at least one of the lenses. It may help to say that the lenses were originally orange as well :)

Edited by Grim.Badger

rocky

Hi Guys,

I have new driving lights on my Mi. But they only work when i have the main headlights on full beam! Is this normal or are they wired incorrectly?

And how could i rectify the situation?

Thanks

t16ryan

Thats what there meant to do :huh:

rocky

Perfect!

Ok thanks mate!

I thought they were more like fog lights, which on my old ford you can turn on even if your sidelights were on!

So these driving lights cannot be on for fashion then as they will damge other motorists eyes!!!

welshpug

Rob

my Siem units were plastic backed and metal reflector, and the GSF supplied ones (£24 part number T94912) were identical :D

they are also THE correct ones, every seller on ebay seems to try and fob people off that the units they are selling are they right ones but they're very obviously not! :huh:

Its also unusual for a 405 to have spot lamps as most had them wired up as fogs, but the spot/fog unit on the 309 GTi/Goodwood is the same (part number and all) as the lamp 405.

Sign in to follow this