• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

[engine_work] Final Stages Of My Rebuild

gti_al

Bought the 205 about two years ago with the intention of fitting an mi16... since then i put a standard 8 valve in, then thought i had better do up the rest.

So, after a master cylinder failure i fitted some 180 brakes. At first they didn't feel that remarkable, but now getting into other cars (that before felt great) shows how good the 205 stops.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/al_/brakes1.jpg

Started to get ideas about wanting more power, but though i should probably check out the suspention first. Rear beam was perfect on one side... but not the other. Fortunately caught it pretty early on, and had the trailing arm repaired. Seemed a bit rude to leave it at 4*4 height, so dropped it at the same time. Then found the front top mounts were totally shagged, so replaced them with some grp n ones and new springs... still have to get the konis in.

resized2.jpg

I know the muffler looks a bit big, but it is a devil and was cheap!

Now it stopped and went around corners i started looking at engine options. I was really keen on a turbo, but decided that was a bit hard. PeterT got me thinking about a 406/306 xu10j4r, so i found one and put a deposit on one... then found it would be really hard to register. So went back to the easy option and bought this.

405-1.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

It had done huge kms (340 000!!) so sent it off for some love... found it had heaps of corrosion in the head and block, but as replacements were going to be crazy expensive had it repaired.

Looks nasty

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/al_/DSC00089.jpg

After some attention (and expense) it came up good. You can see that it isn't ideal, but it should be functional.

head.jpg

Liner seat issues

block.jpg

As we were getting close to completion i pulled the 8 valve out... then cleaned... then painted.

degreased.jpg

Gearbox was the really disgusting... now not so.

geabox.jpg

Finally picked the engine up, so now the fun starts. PeterT is being very helpful with conversion bits, so hopefully the last stage won't be bad. His patience is greatly appreciated though - i ask lots of questions, and most of them are fairly stupid...

block2.jpg

wedge.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to document the build somewhere. Hoping to finish it this week, but need encouragement. The thing is really pissing me off now, and has cost way more than i had planned... should be nice though.

Just for fun i did a phase 1 - 2 dash swap too... but can't be arsed finding the pics.

What do we think?

Alistair

mickie

looks very good

jas-E

hey mate,

Man im loving your gearbox painted black!!that looks really awesome..!!

I got my Mi16 engine over easter, and the initial plan was to change all gaskets and seals, but as i went plans changed and now iv got it stripped all over the place at work and at home!! Budgets have broken boundaries, time scales have gone off the roof but iv kept progress going, but in the end im hoping it'll be a monster to die for!!

Keep going man..and post more pics. It encourages me to keep going and ignore the funding side aswell and i keep getting new ideas along the way - black gearbox mmmmmmm...!!! :lol:

Jas

gti_al

Thanks guys... honestly, i kept this tame to get it back on the road asap. I was going to get a bit silly, but it wouldn't be done for ages, and i don't have the patience to keep pouring money in with no results.

I've left the engine pretty standard though. There were a few things done to the head, but CR is standard... for a CAT engine. Anyone know why i left that stock...? Bit of development for the future. :lol:

I've actually redone the gearbox in gloss to match the block. Now they are back together it looks good, but the box looked really tough in matt!

gti_al

Been trying to get it going today and yesterday... this has rekindled my hatred for peugeots. With plenty of assistance we got it in, plumbed and temporarily wired - then when cranking it the new waterpump has let go. I was losing patience with the car before, and now i am really struggling to get motivated to fix it.

Anyway, where we are at.

mi16in.jpg

So depressed that is has to come apart again... and pissed off about being sold a dodgy part.

Edp

Keep going it will be worth it in the end!

gti_al
Keep going it will be worth it in the end!

I know... this stuff should be fun though, and instead it is stressing me out too much. I've decided to leave it alone for a few weeks and buy another 405.

The pics of your car are inspiring though! That thing looks fantastic.

gti_al

Got stuck back into this, and got the worst of the issues sorted.

Anyway, pics tell the story.

finished-4.jpg

finished-3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/al_/finished.jpg

As always there are plenty of things to sort, but driving the thing again was great. The noise is unbelievable now, and the ease with which it starts/idles is a massive improvement.

Haven't explored the extra power as it has done about 5kms running in so far, but we should be able to play with that soon.

Massive thanks to those that helped with my questions anyway. Venting here helps when things don't go right. :lol:

24seven

good stuff. makes me want to keep going with my Mi16, but there are so many niggles and issues, and then there's the handful of big problems, coupled with my extreme lack of patience.

It'll be worth it eventually though... right? :)

gti_al

Of course. I had so much stuff go wrong with this, with the day i absolutely needed it everything stuffing up...

I actually bought another car (505!!), and with no pressure it has been much less stressful finishing this. If it is s*itting you too much just leave it alone for a week, then see how you feel. It worked for me... and you can't have less patience than me. :)