• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rescue dude

Changing Locks.

rescue dude

Had a problem with the ignition barrel on my 205 GTi but managed to get hold of a full set of locks so no problem there.

I've changed the ignition the doors and hatch locks but is it possible to change the petrol filler cap lock so i only have one key. If so is it an easy job to do?

I don't want to start doing it and f*** it up.

The locks havent come off a GTi by the way.

rescue dude

Don't know why this has appeared 3 times?

Perhaps a mod can delete a couple for me please.

Done - Rob_the_Sparky

Thanks Rob.

Edited by rescue dude

Ryan

The petrol cap can be done quite easily.

The black part that matches up with the rear quarter badges unclips, then the round coloured part that matches the car comes off too. All thats inside is the lock barrel and a spring, so it's easy enough to take apart and swap things over.

M_R_205

how did you get to the locks inside the door, im planning on doing mine soon but it looks verry akward

Ryan

Once you take the door card off there is a thin C-shaped piece of metal around the lock barrel. You pry it off and the lock can be unhooked from the rods and then just comes out.

rescue dude
Once you take the door card off there is a thin C-shaped piece of metal around the lock barrel. You pry it off and the lock can be unhooked from the rods and then just comes out.

Like he says.

That sounds about what i hoped. Cool i'll do that in a bit.

Doing the doors is awkward but easy to do. The tailgate lock was not too difficult either.

I started to do the drivers door lock but discovered i needed to remove about 1mm from where the c-shaped piece holds the barrel. There wasn't a rush and didn't want to bugger it up so i put everything back together including the old lock.

I tested it to make sure it all worked when i discovered to my horror that any key and i mean ANY key including my front door key would open it!!!!!!

So i took it all apart again and replaced it and now have a much more secure Pug.

Ryan

Mine was like that when I bought it. The locks had been forced at some point and all the pins inside had snapped. You could put anything in and it would unlock :unsure:

Sign in to follow this