• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Stubborn Gearbox To Engine Bolt

Casanova

One of the big 8mm allen key bolts that joins the engine to the box is not co-operating. I'm splitting an engine and box that are out of the car so access is no problem, but the allen key just turns and slips our of the bolt-head whenever torque is applied. That bolt is the only thing left holding the two together, all others are out. What's the best way to deal with it? At the moment I'm thinking of grinding the head off the bolt, but I've then got to get a headless bolt out of the engine block which is going to be a big pile of arse. Any bright ideas?

§

Jrod

I used a rounded head socket set and hammered it on.

Ebay item: 300119790407

They come in so handy with loads of rounded bolts etc. Even got a set of pug locking wheel bolts off with them.

Edited by Jrod

steve@cornwall

I use a hammer and chisel to cut a slot in the bolt head and then to persuade the bolt to unscrew... haven't broken anything else yet. Just about the only solution with the bolts at the rear of the engine, a socket won't go over the head.

jonnie205

if you grind the head off then the stud in the block will come out very easily as it will have no load on it

Jrod

Well I'm pretty sure with a TU engine you can get a socket on all of them.

trogboy

Other options are hammer in a slightly larger alan key or use an alan key socket jobby for a ratchet (if you know what I mean!) and you can get much more pressure on it to stop it slipping out.

Pugnut
Other options are hammer in a slightly larger alan key or use an alan key socket jobby for a ratchet (if you know what I mean!) and you can get much more pressure on it to stop it slipping out.

i've lost count the amount of times THIS SET OF BITS has got me out of trouble with rounded cap screws etc . I gaurentee there is a torx or spline bit in this set which is slightly larger , and will hammer in. the problem then is getting the old bolt off the damn bit!

Casanova
I used a rounded head socket set and hammered it on.

Ebay item: 300119790407

They come in so handy with loads of rounded bolts etc. Even got a set of pug locking wheel bolts off with them.

I went and got one of these at Machine Mart (wasn't much more) and it worked a treat! Cheers Jrod! :lol:

§

Jrod

You will not know how you managed to live without them. :lol:

Sign in to follow this